• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WDTV Live or RUKU HD? and my comment on WDTV

massimj

Standard Member
Can someone who has both do a list of pro's and cons of each in a comparison type layout?

I have the WDTV and WDTV live and the WDTV was simple and worked very well, yet the WDTV live added so much connectivity in such a poor way that navigation is confusing. In my opinion they could have used more color and better icons to distinguish the choices on the menus. I find that I dig down int a menu to find that I can get where I want from where I am, so I back all the way out and try again. Why didn't they have two main choices, one that say add content, and another that says Play Content, then go on from there. So the three main choices should be settings, add content, play content. Settings would be a tool wrench, Add Content would be a Folder, and play content would be a TV or AV type symbol.

My real questions about ROKU HD is if it will read and play files from a USB connected drive like WDTV will? Will is play ISO files, or MKV files? Does it show cover art from your own files?

Is there a way to get Netflix on a WDTV Live? Is it in the plan for future upgrades of the product?

Is anyone writing any third party firmware for the WDTV Live, like they did for the WDTV?

Just making a better menu system would be a great improvement on the WDTV Live.

My joy factor with the WDTV (9) is much higher than with the WDTV live (6). Even with the increased ability of the Live, I feel the menu system makes the WDTV Live so difficult for anyone but me. This is the wife factor kicking in. If the wife doesn't like it, or can't use it, she is not happy. if she is not happy, nobody is happy.

Does Western Digital know that they are just an inch away from being the top dog in this business? If they add Netflix to the WDTV Live, they will be king in my book. If they fix the poor menu system at the same time, nobody will need to look any further. The lack of Wireless is not an issue for me. Wireless connectivity is nice, but nobody would disagree that it never beats wired for performance of video streaming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom