Question WDTV Live hub, what next?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by ivrytwr3, Sep 22, 2018.

1. ivrytwr3

ivrytwr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have been using the WDTV 1TB live hub for a few years now.

The device has been fantastic, i have shows on the hub, an external harddrive and connected to my LAN. However, the device is getting on a bit and was wondering what i can replace it with.

What would you recommend?

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    WD abandoned this market so there is no direct commercial replacement.

But there are alternatives, the most flexible and mainstream commercial box is the Nvidia Shield which plays almost everything and runs the official AndroidTV OS with app store.

What you can do is plug in a USB hard drive and it can share that out over the network, giving the same feature as the old WD Hub.

For media playback you have multiple options, Plex media server can be installed on the Shield (which makes it fairly unique for a set top box) and you can also use the Plex client to watch the media, furthermore Plex server can stream that media to other devices on the network via Plex clients or DLNA.

Alternatively you can use a conventional media player like Kodi which will scan the HDD and just play the media only.

There are a whole bunch of other less mainstream devices, some with internal HDD support which could stand in for the WD Hub but the shield is as mainstream as it gets.

3. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,808
    I was in exactly the same position a while back, looking for something to replace my WD.

In the end I got an Nvidia Shield.