• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

WDTV Live HD Questions - Your Help Please

TurnipFarmer

I have had my WDTV Live for a few months now and ripped the majority of my DVDs to .mkv using makeMKV. However once moving it over to my 1TB hard drive it is nearly full and not much room for any new DVDs.

I am not sure if I am using my WDTV to its best ability, my workflow at the moment is to rip the DVD using makeMKV and then move it over to hard drive and then play on WDTV. I think the way that I do it at the moment is lossless eg as good as the original DVD?

What is your workflow when ripping DVDs to by used on your WDTV and which programs do you use and are best for the job? I am considering re-ripping my if I can save a bit of room on the hard drive but retain the quality.

next010

Distinguished Member
The video and audio are the originals with MakeMKV.

If your near the capacity of the external hard drive then you got 3 choices
1) Buy a 2TB or 3TB external HDD.
2) Buy a NAS
3) Encode all your movies into x264 - this will give you a good quality video while compressing it.

* Download the nightly build of Handbrake GUI (download CLI and extract into GUI folder after install)
* Feed Handbrake your MKV file generated from MakeMKV (drag & drop into it)
* Click on High Profile preset and set the container to MKV
* Click the audio tab and delete the first AAC audio track leaving the AC3 pass-thru as the default
* In the preset tool bar menu select new preset to save these changes so you can apply this preset any time
* Click start to encode the movie

The default encoding mode in Handbrake is constant quality so how well the movie compresses is down to the source material, some movies may not compress well but on the upside the quality will not be adversely affected. If you want to increase the level of compression on the video tab drag the RF slider to a higher value like RF24 or thereabouts.

The reason for using the nightly build of handbrake is because the official build is old and doesn't handle files from MakeMKV very well.

JerseySean

Standard Member
Can I hijack this thread as I am at a bit of a loss with video streamimg.

My set up is a wired network with movies stored on a NAS and I want to stream them to: -

- WD Live
- xBox 360
- PS3
- Windows Media Player

When backing up DVD's, I use Any DVD and Clone DVD and remove the chapters etc. The file structure is NAS>Movies>{movie title}>.ts type file. I also use "Moviesomething" (sorry not at home and can't remember the name of the program) which fetches the movie data (covers, actors, genre etc.)

I suppose I have several issues which may or not be related: -

1. the WD Live does not show the DVD covers only folders/names
2. clone dvd seems to create 3 files (start, middle & end of movie) so I cannot play entire movie without interruption. The interruption also occurs when I hit play on the main folder rather than select individual .ts files.
3. the files do not play at all on the xBox & PS3's (they do play and show dvd covers etc. on the PC running media player)

I assume these issues all relate to file types and I guess I can start again (even converting the dvd's already stored) and whilst there are numerous threads on this subject I can't find an answer that I understand particularly as I have not yet touched my blu-ray collection.

- what is the best and most widely accepted file format for various players that retains pass through audio
- what is the step by step approach to rip from dvd or convert from .ts file to create a stored collection (I am not worried about chapters etc. as I understand that this introduces further complications)
- what is the step by step approach to rip from blu-ray

I have played around with handbrake but this seemed to take an age (several hours) to convert a single .ts to an MKV or .mp4 (?) file and as such I am not convinced the settings were correct as my pc has a reasonable spec.

Any help or pointers gratefully received.

planthead

if i were to rip dvds now,, i would use "make mkv",, or depending on which firmware,, just make an iso of the dvd.. Do you use b rads,, and thumbgen for movie sheets,, ala xbmc???

JerseySean

Standard Member
if i were to rip dvds now,, i would use "make mkv",, or depending on which firmware,, just make an iso of the dvd.. Do you use b rads,, and thumbgen for movie sheets,, ala xbmc???

I believe a program called My Movies Collection Management & My Movies for Windows Media Centre creates the movie sheet and although the appear in WMC the no longer appear in WD Live. How do I re-establish the links for these?

Never been able to get the media centre on the pc to play nicely with xbmc but that's a completely different issue.

Does xBox, PS3, WD Live & WNC all play ISO's? I assume not so what is the best format for all of these (and future players)?

planthead

Sorry mate ,, not sure we are on the same page,, the wd tv and wmc are different animals,,

The wd tv live plays iso with menus and navigation,, it wont "see" wmc, only the media files... ie mkv iso, avi,, in its own GUI..

JerseySean

Standard Member
Sorry mate ,, not sure we are on the same page,, the wd tv and wmc are different animals,,

The wd tv live plays iso with menus and navigation,, it wont "see" wmc, only the media files... ie mkv iso, avi,, in its own GUI..

I appriciate wd live dosen't 'see' wmc but the media files I mentioned wmc as this shows dvd covers but that feature is lost on wd live.

2 questions which I hope are simple to answer but have eluded me so far: -

1) what file types work with wd live, xbox (not via xbmx), PS3 & WMC

2) how do I recreate the style sheet (if that the correct phrase) for wd live showing dvd covers etc. rather that just folder names

planthead

Comparing a pc with a media streamer is never going to be easy,, as the wd tv has a tiny footprint, works out of the box,, and is only £80.00

the wd tv plays everything it says it does and more,, Plays all types of codecs, MKV, AVI MOV, MT2S and now supports DVD Menus in ISO files...I don't what/which are compatible with xbox/ps3

The following file types can be played by the WD TV HD Media Player, WD TV Mini Media Player, WD TV Live HD Media Player, WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, WD TV Live Hub Media Center or the WD Elements Play. Any file type not listed below is not supported. If a file type is not listed in the compatible formats below, and does not play on your model of the WD TV, you can attempt to convert the file to a compatible format type using video conversion software.

Media File Formats Supported on the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) (Based on Firmware Version 1.03.01)

Video -- WMV9, AVI (MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), MOV (MPEG4, H.264), MT2S, TP, TS, MOV/MP4 (MPEG4, h.264), DVR-MS, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)

* MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.
* FLV file extensions are NOT supported. Neither are RMVB videos from Real Media. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.
* The WD TV HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension.

Pictures -- JPEG/JPG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG

* JPEG only supports compressed RGB format files. BMP only supports uncompressed files. TIFF only supports single layer files. BMP, TIFF/TIF, PNG, and GIF have a max resolution of 2048x2048. JPEG/JPG has a max resolution of 4096x4096 unless it is in a progressive format, then maxes out at 1280x720.

Audio -- MP3, WMA, MPA, M4A, MP4A, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA

* An audio receiver is required for surround sound output (including the unsupported DTS audio codec). For more information see Answer ID 3590: DTS support on the WD TV Media Player
* AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only.

Playlists -- PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitles -- SRT, SMI, SUB, ASS, SSA

the Wd tv live stock firmware shows covers/thumbnails,,

if you like movie sheets ,, you have to install a custom firmware (easy and recommended with of other enhancements) and generate them though a program called thumbgen, whose creator contributes on here,,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...ad-all-linux-help-gratefully-received-11.html

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
"2) how do I recreate the style sheet (if that the correct phrase) for wd live showing dvd covers etc. rather that just folder names "

Just to expand on Planty's help above a little....

I think you are talking about Thumbnails (the covers) and moviesheets (full screen movie poster).

To show thumbnails you'll need a thumbnail file for each folder and movie, and set the WDTV via its own menu to show thumbnails. The folder Thumbs should be called 'folder', and the movie thumbnails should be named the same title as the movie, eg Avatar.jpg. Thumbnails should be 200x300 jpg.

To show moviesheets, you need to modify the WDTV firmware by downloading and installing B-rad firmware, this is a lot easier than it sounds, and there is a dedictaed thread on this subject. Then generate your moviesheets using any photo editing app, but most of us use Thumbgen which can do all the media scraping for you, it then compiles the images, cast lists, plots, etc, into a preformatted template, and names the corectly formatted image in a way that WDTV understands. There are already a great selection of templates available, but Thumbgen also has a template editor if you want to create your own style, or modify existing ones. This is still in Beta, but it does work quite well already.

Search the forums for 'moviesheets' there is heaps of good info already here.:smashin:

Most of this stuff is still pretty new, so we do tend to help each other out on a lot of this.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom