• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WDTV audio player

dave76

Established Member
I am considering getting the WDTV live and was wondering how well the music player worked on it. The video side of things looks perfect but not seen much about music. One thing that annoyed me a bit about the streaming bit of my bluray player is you cannot browse for music and keep the currently playing track playing - as soon as you back out to the file browser the audio stops, is that how the wdtv works too?

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
"you cannot browse for music and keep the currently playing track playing"

Yes, disappointing isn't it, certainly the case on my Sony s370.

If nobody posts back I'll check my WDTV Live for you, but if music is important in your life, have a look at Squeezebox Touch. I'm a long time user of SBs.;)

Playlist management is improving on the WDTVs , but I've not looked at mine for a while, so don't know if 'on the fly' use is allowed yet. This the name of the feature you are after.:smashin:

dave76

Established Member
well its not the most important thing - thats to be able to play my ripped ISOs, mkvs and music in one box. If I have to stop the music while looking for something new then I suppose I can cope with that :)

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
The WD is pretty good with a decent GUI for the music as long as the music has mp3 tags. It will also show the album cover. I have mine in folder with artist - album - track number. It will list the folders so selecting artist is easy. If using covers then the thumbnail preview looks good too but I prefer folders for quicker browsing.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
NWGarrett, can you do playlists on the fly with it, eg cue up music without stopping the one "now playing". I think thats what the OP was after.

dave76

Established Member
I shall find out all the goodness for myself tomorrow as I have just ordered one :D Time to get learning about the replacement firmware :D

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I can confirm that when pressing the back button, it will carry on playing the selected music and make it possible to select another. In fact, I got all the way to the main menu and it is still playing the music.

If showing the album cover while playing the music, a screensaver kicks in. This can be disabled.

Attachments

• artists.jpg
    artists.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 84
  • playing album.jpg
    playing album.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 124
  • albums.jpg
    albums.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 92
  • tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 94

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom