1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WD2500PB 250GB - very fast very quiet

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rob.Screene, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I quick report that I've just bought and installed a new Western Digital Caviar WD2500PB 250GB with the new fluid-bynamic bearing motor.

While ghosting the old drive to it (at 31MB/sec!) I noticed it really is very, very quiet.

Storagereview.com haven't reviewed one yet, but I'll bet it's a storming performer, probably close to the new IBM/Hitachi's and quieter than anything else.

Got it from komplett.co.uk for 136+VAT+delivery=163 pounds. They now seem to not list it, but scan.co.uk have then for about 146+VAT.

Now if only I had the TheaterTek re-activation key required when booting with the new hard disk, oops!

Watch this space, it's gonna be the drive to have for that lossless audio/dvd on-line media library.

Oh, remember if using a partition over 137GB, you should have the Windows XP fix and bios upgrade 48-bit LBA support in place to avoid potential corruption.

cheers,
    Rob.

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    Looks like it may be the drive to have - thanks for the info, I've been looking at potential upgrades for internal drives.
    I've been looking on WDs web site and found this interesting external drive also
    WD external drive
    It has a built in 8-in-1 card reader as well as being an external 250MB drive.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought a 160gb Seagate SATA drive and it caused huge case vibration. Have had this with other Seagate drives too although I have an 80gb that is great. I have found Samsung to be great value, quiet drives. May try a WD drive next time.

4. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a warning,
    I've had a few problems with big WD drives, to be precise with WD1800JB and WD2000JB models, 2 of the 200GB flavor broke after a couple of months of use (not too heavy) without any logical reason (no high temp, no shock, nothing) and even the recovery service company couldn't access data. The 180GB started to slow down to the point that it became a pain to use.
    I've tried quite a number (>200) of drives as I'm working in IT since 1996 and the WD series has been one the most unreliable, and loosing 200GB of files is quite painful.
    Maybe it was just those units, but who knows.

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the heads-up.

I have a WD2000JB unit I use mainly for capturing laserdiscs and taking to my desktop PC for post-processing and encoding.

I once accidentally dropped it on to the kitchen from sholder height and it landed face down on the lino floor with a thud. It now makes a relatively loud bearing noise, but is otherwise fine, all data seems ok, and that was about 4 weeks ago. I'm amazed it still spins let alone works fine.

Random failure can happen to any hard disks, as they can easily be cooked or the electronics fail, plus they are physically moving something internally all the time. I've certainly cooked one or more having two 7200rpm drives next to each other without a case fan in the past!

If it's important data, or hard to recreate, then have a back-up.

For me, I have a 2.2GB system partition for the HTPC on which Windows and all software goes. This is then ghost image backed-up and often coped to another machine or burnt to bootable DVD to make easy emergency recovery.

I don't worry too much about the second huge partition (231GB in this case) as I could re-rip my music and DVD's if it came to it.

I also keep the previous HTPC hard disk on the shelf for a good few weeks untouched, so that the new drive has to prove itself reliable before the other copy of the data is overwritten.

I've also got a WD1200JB at the main system drive in my desktop for a few years now, no compaints as-yet.

regards,
    Rob.

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The WD2500PB's are back at komplett.co.uk, but now scan.co.uk have them for 128+VAT+delivery. I'm tempted to get one for a desktop pc too as I'm really impressed with how vast, fast and quiet they are!

Plus a 3 year warranty, unlike the hitachi/ibm's 1year, who I think are the ones who should be showing their own faith n their drives right now.

cheers,
    Rob.

7. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,966
    That's one hell of a good price for that drive. The 3 year warranty is reassuring too - I might have to get one myself !

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  9. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Rob,

I just purchased a 2500PB model as advertised on there website and it says PB on the invoice and on the label on the sealed static bag yet on the drive it self it says:

MDL: WD2500JB-00EVA0

Does your PB model have the same model number on the drive or have Scan FU?

Steve.

10. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have installed a 200GB Maxtor SATA hard drive on my HCPC for storing APE files and using Xlobby front end. Every so often I find a corrupt APE file which winamp won't decompress?
    Is this a problem with the drive?
    The first post mentioned "Oh, remember if using a partition over 137GB, you should have the Windows XP fix and bios upgrade 48-bit LBA support in place to avoid potential corruption", could this cause the problem?
    The MB is a Abit NF7-S and operating system is Windows XP.

11. morphman

morphman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe, XP SP1 (which you should have already installed, and if not why not?) has this fix in it.

12. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am running Xp with SP1.
    The system recognises the full disk size but the corrupt ape files appear every so often? I don't know if this is a software problem ie. monkey audio or the winamp problem or hardware.

13. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at The WD 200Gb disks at Scan - £83 + Vat which is bit more cost effective.

Totalnoobee

I have been in IT for more years than I care to imagine, but I dont really know what your 1996 entry into the IT market has to do with - 200Gb disks - they havent been around that long.

I have bought nothing else but WD for 2 years and havent had any failures at all and I look after and buy a lot of kit.

I even use WD for my Online Backup Solution and there is 100gb of data every night. I have used this solution for the last 9 months without a hitch.

14. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Steve,
    Been away. I'll check tonight.

regards,
    Rob.

15. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Cheers Rob,

Its gone back already :)

Steve

16. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Steve,
    Looks like you did the right thing. I'm seeing WDC WD2500PB-00FBA0 under device manager and on the drive label itself.

I think WD are keeping them quiet until the older non-FDB models are sold to unknowing users which I think its what the Register article touched on too.

I was on the verge on ordering another for a desktop pc I work on as they really are superbly quiet.

regards,
    Rob.