WD10EADS Users

BarryMcKelvey

Hi

I'd ordered a 1TB WD10EVDS from SHD online Cheap Laptops, Computers & More but they sent me out a WD10EADS and now the WD10EVDS is out of stock. Do I send this HDD back and try elsewhere for a WD10EVDS? Anyone out there using a WD10EADS, I'd like to hear ur thoughts. Getting Sky HD on Saturday so don't know what box I will have installed yet.

Baz

simon194

If I remember correctly the WD10EVDS was discontinued a few months ago so the chances of finding one is pretty remote now.

The WD10EADS is a variable speed drive and that type of drive has been known to be a problem in some boxes.

BarryMcKelvey

If I remember correctly the WD10EVDS was discontinued a few months ago so the chances of finding one is pretty remote now.

The WD10EADS is a variable speed drive and that type of drive has been known to be a problem in some boxes.

Hi

If ur correct and the WD10EVDS has been discontinued, whats the best alternative to use in a HD box?

Baz

Happy Trucker

hybridtheory

Don't forget that (as I pointed out in the other thread) you paid for an EVDS not an EADS. The EADS is currently) £7 cheaper on their site so if you do decided tokeep the EADS I'd be getting into them about refunding the £7.

Mine's still not arrived yet! Getting on to them about a refund tomorrow. Not happy.

BarryMcKelvey

hybridtheory

Don't forget that (as I pointed out in the other thread) you paid for an EVDS not an EADS. The EADS is currently) £7 cheaper on their site so if you do decided tokeep the EADS I'd be getting into them about refunding the £7.

Mine's still not arrived yet! Getting on to them about a refund tomorrow. Not happy.

Hi

I spoke to them today, spoke to a guy named Steve. I'm not the only one this has happened to. They had a huge meeting about it today. To keep it short, basically what's happened is when they scan the barcode it states its an EVDS but the labelling states its an EADS. They have contacted WD to find out if they have been wrongly labelled and r in fact the EVDS. I wont know anything til they SHD contact me again.

Baz

PE06MCG

Fitted an EADS to my Amstrad HD in place of a very noisy / clunky Seagate 1TB.
Is it a problem with certain box makes or is at a random malfunction that may affect any make or version of STB ?

My experience is very favourable.

Have found the WD10EADS to be great (very quiet and responsive).
If there are issues with other boxes thats a pity because this is a fantastic improvement in my STB and i would recommend it without hesitation..

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy Trucker

Had a reply from SHD today.

Apparently, (as Baz said above) they have a labelling issue and have been on to Western Digital about it. The drives are going to be replaced with the correct ones by WD but can't be done until 10th June.

According to Steve (I'm starting to feel sorry for him, he seems to be the only one dealing with this) while both the EAVS and EADS will do the job, the EADS runs at a higher temp and doesn't work as well as an upgrade for a Sky box.

Last edited:

BarryMcKelvey

Apparently, (as Baz said above) they have a labelling issue and have been on to Western Digital about it. The drives are going to be replaced with the correct ones by WD but can't be done until 10th June.

According to Steve (I'm starting to feel sorry for him, he seems to be the only one dealing with this) while both the EAVS and EADS will do the job, the EADS runs at a higher temp and doesn't work as well as an upgrade for a Sky box.

Hi

I've just had my fone call from Steve, getting my drive swapped out for the EVDS on 10th June :D so its all good.

Baz

Happy Trucker

Just a quick addition:

The claim is that all major suppliers in the UK (maybe everywhere but didn't press it) may be having this problem. The drives are scanning as EVDS, but labelled as EADS. Even WD can't say what the drive actually is. They have been asked for the schematic so SHD can see if it's the right drive but SHD have been told that all the EVDS/EADS mix up drive are going to be recalled. SHD's new shipment is due in on 10th June and my (and presumably all others) order will ship then.

We shall wait and see.

PE06MCG

Hi,

Just when i was congratulating myself on my choice of EADS i find most knowledgable people are preferring a different HDD.

What improvement will i get from the thread preferred versions (ie EAVS over EADS) ?.
You mention temperature (my Amstrad runs v. cool incidentally) but what are the other advantages you state an upgrade would give ?

Happy Trucker

Hey, I don't know. I'm just repeating what I was told by a vendor ;)

The 'V' series are supposed to be more suited to PVR applications due to lower running temps, lower power usage etc. Someone above mentioned the EADS is a variable speed drive rather than a constant speed one (not looked into that) so that could cause issues with a Sky box that's expecting a constant spin speed.

If your box is running cool and giving no problems then I'd be tempted to stick with it, since you probably won't a refund now you've used it.

simon69c

On a similar note I emailed ilgs earlier today for an update on the status of my order (for a WD10EVDS which was listed as 3 in stock on their website last week) and have just been told that because the model is in such niche demand, it basically gets shipped direct from WD themselves (which if the same is true for other suppliers would tie up with reports I've seen of WD10EVDS owners saying they receive drives with manufacture dates of only a few days prior to delivery). They told me I could expect the drive next wednesday. Fingers crossed!

I believe the main difference between the WD10EVDS and the WD10EADS is that the former is specifically designed for use in AV equipment and therefore has a higher temperature tolerance than the EADS (less likely to fail due to getting too hot within a STB). The EVDS also has "Silkstream" (which supposedly helps provide smooth playback of multiple HD streams), along with "Pre-emptive Wear Levelling", which supposedly reduces wear on the disk surface by sweeping across it (guess it means it avoids just reading and writing to one part of the disk and ensures it uses all of it over time). According to the WD site the EVDS does actually have the same variable speed as the EADS so that would not appear to be a reason to pick one over the other.

I've not actually seen anyone with any particular problems with the WD10EADS though so it is likely to be OK - and it is certainly cheaper and a helluva lot easier to get hold of! If there's still no sign of my WD10EVDS next week I'll just be cancelling the order and getting an EADS instead I think.

Last edited:

BarryMcKelvey

Hi

I've just had my fone call from Steve, getting my drive swapped out for the EVDS on 10th June :D so its all good.

Baz

Hi

Does the EVDS work fine in the Samsung boxes, as I've just had one fitted today?

Baz

charper1000

Hi, I fitted EADS about a month ago, and it's brillant, quiet, the fan runs less now and it saves energy(and money) would recommend it:D

Chadford

Distinguished Member
In my opinion - don't worry. I looked at the specs for the WDxxxx series quite some time ago. The conclusion I came to was that it didn't really matter if you get a EADS or EAVS - they are both very similar and *worlds* apart in performance from (in the case of the Thomson) the stock Maxtor.
If I remember correctly the Maxtor consumes about 25W the WD's about 5W, the EADS consumes slightly less than the EAVS, it's all good :thumbsup:

simon69c

As an update to my situation with ilgs, I received an email from them yesterday saying:

"Dear Customer,
It seems Western Digital are having problems in getting stock of the "Caviar Green 1.0TB - WD10EVDS". They are unable to give a fixed delivery date for the stock. They seem to keep shifting their dates as the WD office in the UK also have not had any confirmed shipment date for this Hard Drive.

We shall keep you posted... Your order is a priority... yada yada yada..."

As a result I've thanked them for chasing it up but asked them to cancel my order and I think I'll just go for the WD10EADS instead as it is cheaper and soooo much easier to get hold of, and by all accounts seems to work just fine anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom