WD tV

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by razzputin, Feb 3, 2009.

1. razzputin

razzputin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,
    I am a complete noobie. I have read so much about this product now I am really confused.
    i want to buy it , an hdmi cable and watch movies. most are all labelled avi.But I know having said that , they are compressed in Divx. My Panasonic hd tv is connected through the 3 cables (composite?) because my hd box did not have an hdmi outlet. This is in the extra room so it did not bother me until I wanted this WD TV player. I wondered if I used hdmi with this WD TV would it have any effect on the regular HD TV run through the component cables?
    Have had good success with Divx/avi and this product?
    Thanks in advance. I hope I gave enough info.

2. robtek70

robtek70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You shouldn't have any problems with this connected at the same time as your HD box. I have my WD TV attached to a Samsung tv with an hdmi cable. I also have connected another HD media steamer, a HD DVD player and a Playstation 3 conected via hdmi. Plus a XBox 360 connected via component and Archos 704 via SVideo, A DVD recorder and PVR via scart and have no problems with any of them.

The HD TV player almost every files I have tried with just the occasional one having problems and usually its because it has been encoded with a non standard codec.

If you want to play HD movies files which have a DTS soundtrack then the player needs to be conected to an AV amp which accepts a dts audio track otherwise no sound is heard.

Comparing this to the other HD media streamer I have, which cost over twice as much, I find there is no difference with the quality of the output. The only difference is that this player doesn't have a network port therefore is unable to stream across a network

3. razzputin

razzputin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the quick reply and all the information.
    So you do not think I should have any trouble with the divx that are labelled avi?

4. robtek70

robtek70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have many hundreds of divx/avi files and only had problems with a couple of them. Western Digital has released a couple of firmware updates (latest V1.01.02) for the player since it first went on sale and these have expanded the range of video files playable, list from their website below.

Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),MTS, TP, TS.

John

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. razzputin

razzputin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And again thank you for the clear explanation.
    I just ordered it.
    Razz.:thumbsup::D