WD TV Live - Playback stuttering / Slow

Stilllife

Standard Member
I have a WD TV Live upstairs connected to my Qnap TS209-II NAS via Cat6e cables into 200mps Homeplugs running on a gigabit network..

Over the last week or two the WD TV has slowed right down. I was running an older FW, I updated to the latest (thinking it would improve the running - fool me). I found the newest FW sluggish / stuttering playback. I rolled back to Firmware Ver. 1.02.21_V - again this seems to give me no improvement over play back.

I find HD files now stutter after a few seconds, files take longer to initially load up (divx files) and for some reason I can't understand when viewing my NAS over Samba alot of the directories / files do not show up. I connect via uPnp rather.

Could anyone point me to a solution here, I am only using the WD TV as a streamer, I don't need youtube access, updated content or webtools - I just want a media box that plays the content smoothly.

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
I can't understand why the WDTV Live would start slowing down.
Have you tried:-
connecting directly to your router, or..
playing a couple of Blu Ray rips from a USB drive connected to the WDTV Live.
Were you using Samba shares before?
Just to rule out any network or NAS problems.

I definitely used to get varying performance from my 85 Mbps plugs, for no apparent reason. I also found varying performance depending on what else was plugged in near the Homplugs, wall wart power supplies for example had a noticable effect..

Stilllife

Standard Member
Afternoon

I have not tried a file played from a USB (will try that tonight). The only thing that has changed from my setup over the last few weeks is a FW update for the WD TV upstairs and the IcyBox downstairs (IB now plays 1080 flawlessly where the WD is throwing its toys about).

I bought cabling yesterday and installed new Cat6 cables on the whole setup (Router to NAS, Router to Homeplugs & Homeplugs to Media Players). Updated FW on the NAS as well but that shouldn't affect the WD player (and if it was the NAS wouldn't the IBox would show signs of jittering which it doesn't).

The Samba share is a new thing, I don't use it often as a lot of content is not showing (will need to research that - I'm sure it has to do with file names / length).

Can anyone recommend an older 'stable' FW i could go back too. I've tried all the FW on the WD site as well as the Modified FW used by alot of forum users here (for movie sheets - again still with jittering).

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
I use B-rads firmware, I haven't had any issues, but I basically got it al the way I wanted then left it alone. If no-one posts, I'll try and check later for you as I'm not at home at the moment.

Stilllife

Standard Member
Ty squire. I'll retry B-Rads FW for the WD TV Live and see again if that and the new cabling will sort out any of my issues.

Just strikes me as rather odd that out of the blue the one player I had no HD streaming issues (pre FW upgrades) now gives me grief.

I have read on here (and other sites) that the Samba share streams HD better - I will try that but will need to look into why the Directories are not showing. I have Twonky running on the NAS and it auto updates the directories so they should show under the share no?

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
" I have Twonky running on the NAS and it auto updates the directories so they should show under the share no? "

Dunno mate, I just access my shares directly, bypassing the server software.
Something else to try for you?

Stilllife

Standard Member
Ah, might try that then. (will have to read up on how to set up Samba shares/access). Until now it has either been Media Server / NAS (twonky software here I gather) / Folder / Videos or Network share / NAS / Dir / Videos.

Another random thing, since the FW updates (then rollbacks) I am now unable to input my network share info, so have had to have 'read access everyone' option on my Network access options for my NAS turned on in order to see my NAS under Network Share.

Strange I know...

Stilllife

Standard Member
Not to be daft here :)

by reset you mean pressing the reset button, rebooting, then powering down - taking out the power cable to have the unit power down completely, right?

Any thank you - I will try that FW and see if it helps.

tea_bag

yep that's right.

After an firmware install the guys on the WD forum reckon you should
1: hit the side reset button for a couple of seconds to reset the unit
2: when rebooted, select the RESET TO DEFAULTS from the settings menu.
3: when rebooted, power down then take the power cable out for a few minutes.

Should all be fine now, fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tea_bag

A beta firmware released today has resolved some issues with stuttering, plus also some other improvements, the internet radio and auto framerate are nice additions.
Beta 1.04.22_V

Last edited:

Stilllife

Standard Member
@tea_bag : Ty very much for all you help so far. I am grabbing the FW as we speak and will try it shortly (fingers crossed).

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom