WD TV Live! ok whats better?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by J4kBurn, Feb 22, 2013.

1. J4kBurn

J4kBurn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people,

Having finally offloaded My Gen 3 WD TV Live, I'm on the market for something better. (or at least something Consistent)

Is Price a Factor or are they all much of a muchness?

Budget is open and the only stipulation is no on-board HDD. and would prefer Black to match everything else.

Cheers

J4kBurn

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Really depends on what your looking for precisely as with entry level stuff all have their own pros and cons, e.g the DuneTV 303 uses a similar but newer chip to the WDTV which you might prefer it though it's hard to gauge that sort of thing.

Then there's the Pivos XIOS DS which uses a completely different chip an Arm based one, this box has XBMC available for it and developers behind it debugging the platform. You can run XBMC under Android or use a special XBMC only firmware, XBMC does a lot of things right UI wise that a lot of media players get wrong and it's packed with features. The box is also open so there are lots of hacks and mods, see Pivos forums.

Roku is another small box, but it only plays WMV, H.264/mp4 and H.264/mkv media plus you must use Plex media server if you have to stream media over the network.

Mede8er are keeping the torch alive for Realtek based players with the Mede8er 600X. Can handle most formats and has it's own custom firmware.

3. J4kBurn

J4kBurn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi next010,

Thanx for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the Pivos & Mede8er.

Cheers

J4kBurn

4. J4kBurn

J4kBurn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd let everyone know, I bought a Mede8er 600x3d about two weeks ago. What an awesome piece of kit this is, well built and consistent. Has been on everyday for Extended periods and not once Crashed/Reset/Reboot itself.

Took five minuets to setup with a 3tb usb hdd and see the pc.

Has played everything I've chucked at it without a fuss.

Software used:
    WinShare

For Movies:
    File2Folder
    YaDIS 2.2
    YaDIS2Mede8er (addon to the above)

TV:
    theRenamer
    TVRename

J4k