WD TV Live - Network speed (10/100 or 10/1000) ?

futureal33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Im looking at getting one of the new WD TV Live hubs, which will connect to my WD Live 2TB NAS drive which holds all my movies.

I have just upgraded all my network gear to gigabit speed devices (switch, router etc) and am just wondering if anyone knows if the WD TV Live is 10/1000 (gigabit) also? I assume it is...but cant find anything on the specifications of the device anywhere!

Also - on a side question, what are the main differences between the new one and the old one, again I cant seem to find much if anything at all that separates them other than perhaps no longer supported firmware on the earlier version?

Thanks for any help

Edit - Just noticed the POHD Mini2 is Gigabit connection, this sounds much better! However the reviews of this device aren't as good as the WDTV!

Can anyone help me out?

All i'm looking for is a Media Streamer that will play X264 media (which is held on a WD Live 2TB NAS Drive) - routed through a Gigabit switch.
The media player will also be connected via a wire to the same switch.

Please help me pick a streamer that fits my needs, thank you :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you are aware that even a high bitrate BluRay rip can stream over a 100mbps network connection. Therefore there is no reason to limit your choice of media player to one with a gigabit network port.

Mark.

Really?
I thought that it would push over 50mb/s with audio, and that might cause some stuttering at certain scenes/parts of a hi-res MKV x264 file?

Are you confusing megabits with megabytes ? If you have a video file that needed a 100 megabytes per second its unlikely the media players CPU / SOC could even cope. The only issues your likely to get is if running over wifi but sounds like your planning of going wired so you'll get no issues (unless mice chew your cables!)

Well I've been using my media player that only has a 100mbps network port for over a year now and it has played all my full HD BD rips with HD audio without any stuttering. So I can say for sure that gigabit is not required.

Mark.

Gigabit not required for streaming any hd content i have streemed 50gb 3d iso files on my old 100mb setup but I upgraded my router and switches to gigabit so I could transfer files around a lot faster

Would it make any difference if I added a few more switches into the equation?
Ie, if I had the main router (internet IN) connected to a gig switch, which then connected to another gig switch - which had the WDTV Live on it, and additional to the above, I had another gig switch with the NAS drive on it (so it would be in effect like this: WDTV Live - Switch - Switch - Switch - NAS Drive

Any problems there?

That shouldn't be a problem. I have:
router, PC & NAS > switch1 > 5m CAT5e cable > switch2 > media player, BDP & TiVo
and this works fine, so adding a 3rd switch should be no problem.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom