WD TV Live movie sheets,volume,menu screen

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by ALIEN1X, Mar 2, 2013.

1. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    :lease:Hello,

I have just bought a WD TV live and have it up and running. It also went thru auto firmware update.

Is there a way of adding free movie sheets auotmatically so it finds and updates it self? I have tried going thru settings and there are no options ot tools options to enable plugins or anything?

I also noticed that there is no volume control on the WD remote control?

Further more, I noticed that other WD live boxes have a diffrent menu screen more sort off black/slick looking hi tech menus, were mine has more of windows os type view and folder structure with no tools options etc?

Any advise on above would be help full please.

2. planthead

planthead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    It has its own jukebox, and will download the covers and data, you can add themes directly or upload 3rd party themes, the volume control is only on the phone app remote. This is all in the wd tv live thread.

3. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    I used WDTVHubGen to get the info you then press one of the coloured buttons (yellow I think) to change view. Also group videos together in one file to get view like attached. No you can't adjust the volume use your tv or sound system to do this, and the metadata doesn't work over dlna, use network share instead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for te replies,

Now I'm bit confused. My firmware is 1.14.09 which I assume is the latest.
    There are options to change the appearance but only a few to choose from, unless as advsied I down load 3rd pary items.

Now the problem is, when I view my files under files folder no movie screen sheet show and do not download. All I see is folder icons with movie files with in them when selected.

There is no option to select or download plugins or enable movies screens? I have down loaded the manual and nothing explained in that.

Should I be looking at video folders instead of files folder?

I have also downloaded Thumbgen, now do I install the exe onto the usb hdd that has all my movies on it which I connect to WDTVLive or on my pc?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Wdtv cannot always find the correct movie data itself, which is why I use the thumbgen.

Install on your pc, then locate the media it will give you a choice of titles with a similar name, or you can do a manual search. It will then download 2 files a XML data file and the jpg image, it will also change the name of the file so wdtv recognises it in the future.

It seems for wdtv to recognise the files they need to be in a certain format, title then year in brackets eg lawless (2012).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  6. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the advise. I had to do a factory reset to view video which then showed very basic movie sheets....so thats a start.

I will try as per your advise using thumbgen to improve the sheets and data.

So correct me if I'am wrong...

Load thumbgen on pc which is a .exe file

Then connect the ext hdd drive which contains the movies to my pc

Start thumgen ago go thru the proceedure of locating the movie files which will them search for addtional data to produce or improve the movie sheets.

7. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Yes thats it. One thing that may help though, in my computer / network / mywdtvlive can you see your files there may stop you having to disconnect / reconnect your drive.

When you say basic data is it the same as my image above or did you want more?

8. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I Will try and look into this and let you know

9. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    OK, noted other problems after using Thumbgen and reconnecting my usb hdd to WDLive. I now get errors saying 'No content source available or may have removed-select another source'?
    So I selected another source or re tried the same source and keep gettingh the same message on video and files menu section.So it will not show any files populating , show zero files?

It woks fine on pc but not on WDLive?

10. mentm

mentm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Try disconnecting the wdtv live for 10 seconds or so should force it to rescan your hard drive.

11. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    :lease:OK ,I went into my computer/network/ wdlive

I click on it and it asks fo pass, it only allow limited content to be viewed like password, device setup, registration etc its a web based app.

I can not see my usb HDD connected or any files in it.

I tried to disconnect the WDLive and reconnect to see if it picks up my drive and back to same error - 'No content source available or may have removed-select another source'

So I tried to select media source via setup and it then gives a message 'No Content Found

It all work fine on pc and home and work, it appears that after using thumbgen WD live will not recorgnise my HDD.

Ah, also when using Thumbgen , it kept crashing or getting messages now and then thumbgen not reponsding, and input/ouput errors on USB.

But it works fine on pc?

My USB HDD is Western Digital Elements 1TB

I put in a usb stick and that was detected by WDLive. So the problem no lies that WDLive is not picking up my hardrive after using Thumbgen?

I tried connecting again an get the message 'The last content source has been removed. Please select a new content source'

I then connected my USB HDD to my pc to see the content which worked fine on pc.Noted Thumbgen created some files - .jpg .tgmd .metathumb .xml and some .backdrop files but not on all movies.

I have a feeling thumbgen has made the HDD drive unsable in WDLIVE (drive and content no longer detected )but not on pc?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013