WD TV Live (gen 3) PAL vs NTSC

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Devinology, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Devinology

Devinology
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this is the best place for this as it is a general question about PAL vs NTSC for HDMI equipment, but I am wondering about it to help with my WD TV Live.

So I think I understood the difference between PAL and NTSC for SD equipment but I am not sure what the distinction is when it comes to HD equipment with HDMI ports. I am in Canada and have an NTSC HD TV (fairly modern, 2010 Philips). I am not sure if it would play PAL TV signals as it is. There is no option to switch between NTSC and PAL in the TV settings.

I bought a WD TV Live unit online a while back and hooked it up to the TV with HDMI. It seems to work great. I usually stream video over the network by samba share. Anyway, I was looking up something to do with the device on the WD website and noticed that I have the model number of the PAL unit (WDBGXT0000NBK) rather than NTSC (WDBHG70000NBK). I was just wondering if this makes any difference at all since I have the unit connected by HDMI rather than composite. It seems to work fine but I was wondering if somehow this was less optimal than having the NTSC model (like am I getting a worse picture or something).

In the player settings I have the output set to HDMI 1080p. By comparing to playing the same files on a computer, I appear to be getting the full picture with the correct aspect ratio and everything. Since there is no option in the player I assume that it can output to both NTSC and PAL equipment and that when it is on HDMI it doesn't even matter. Just wanted to know if this is the case and why.

Thanks!