WD TV HD Media Player - what's the sound quality like?

ap shift

Standard Member
I have downloaded and played the free sample album from Linn Records. In flac format the files are high quality 24 bit. Download our testfiles

Played out of the audio phonos via some good i/connects they sound pretty good. My CD player is an old Meridian 200 ( plus ATC SIA2-150 amp and Harbeth Compact 7 speakers).

Ripped CD's are a little lossy (due to PC?) but very acceptable. I'm not an MP3fan.

Playing digital output via the optical out via a Yamaha E800 decoder is pretty close but first impressions are that the WD's DAC is doing a reasonable job. Amazing for the money!

My main grumbles are slowness to change .jpg stills ( about 5 secs) and slow reaction to the remote after a period of non-use. Firmware update awaited?

I love it for being able to browse my high def video without having to play the tapes in my Sony HC1 and wearing out the heads.

Thought.. maybe I could rip the CDs to flac?? Uhmm...

robtek70

I have downloaded and played the free sample album from Linn Records. In flac format the files are high quality 24 bit. Download our testfiles
I downloaded a couple of these flac files and they don't play on my WD TV HD Media Player, all other I have do? I checked and they are 88.2KHz and 6 ch sound most others I have a 44.1KHz and 2 channel so I assume that these files are to high a quality to be played on the WD.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom