Wd tv 2 - vga/hdmi ?

advid

...at the moment I've got the original WD HD TV going into TV via HDMI and am totally satisfied with v.good picture quality on ripped DVD's....

I've also got a PC connected to the Internet and going into my TV via VGA (D-SUB).
Picture quality is at a lower res (1280 x 768)

QUESTION....
If I purchased a WD TV 2 with its Internet networking connection possibilities - would the picture quality on things like YouTube and iPlayer be any better because output would then be via HDMI and not VGA... (I think upscaling on my TV only works when in HDMI...not VGA ?)
OR
....Is the quality on YouTube (usually lots of 'home made' stuff of low res.) not really going to be worth it and not be noticeable with upscaling...??

next010

Distinguished Member
Is the quality on YouTube (usually lots of 'home made' stuff of low res.) not really going to be worth it and not be noticeable with upscaling...??
This, if anything the upscaling and extra sharpness from the HDMI connection would make things look worse.

advid

This, if anything the upscaling and extra sharpness from the HDMI connection would make things look worse.
...thanks for that- What about good quality (like BBC iPlayer in HD setting)..would that improve...

At the moment VGA gives a limited pallete of colours with not enough variation in contrast (blacks too black(shadows) and little detail
and general soft picture - even with iPlayer in HD mode..... would HDMI improve it.....

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes with high quality content you would notice an improvement though before you pull the trigger on getting a WDTV Live

A) Find out from someone who's bought one does it actually use the HQ or HD option if present in a Youtube stream.

B) Will the iPlayer get added to the WDTV Live video service as far as I know its not part of it yet - contacting Western Digital directly might be the way to go on this one.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom