WD TV 2, Release Date?

Can it downmix and send out unprocessed to the toslink at the same time? ie: So you'd hear stereo on your TV and say dolby 5.1 or DTS via your amp at the same time?

im a little worried about this line on the spec sheet -

"An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. "

doesnt that mean that it WONT support DTS downmix - hmm i will ring WD and try and ask them

"An audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. "

doesnt that mean that it WONT support DTS downmix - hmm i will ring WD and try and ask them

Cheers Pete.

If it cannot downmix DTS, then my brother in law may be better off with the WDTV1 and saving a bit of cash as i cant see that the wdtv improvements will be advantagous to him at the moment.

But stereo is not multi channel surround digital output.

All its going to do is downmix from DTS to stereo.

So in my opinion that is correct, if you want to output multi channel surround sound then you need a receiver. If you are happy with stereo then you don't.

I had been recommending the WDTV 1 for my brother in law who was looking for a simple media player setup to run through his Amp (Optical) and to his Pioneer Kuro Plasma (via HDMI).

As he doesnt have any network setup in his house (and perhaps not likely to use net work features that much) im wondering what the WDTV2 does that the original doesnt?

A few questions about this one.

Does the WDTV2 downmix DTS to stereo?

Is the WDTV2 faster than the original version?

Any thing else the WDTV has over the original version?

Ive tried doing a search but i cant find a straight answer.... thanks.

full spec is in these NEW Thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...rs/1099655-wd-tv-live-wdbaap0000nbk-eesn.html

there is a review link as well but i cant find it now

But stereo is not multi channel surround digital output.

All its going to do is downmix from DTS to stereo.

So in my opinion that is correct, if you want to output multi channel surround sound then you need a receiver. If you are happy with stereo then you don't.

yeh thats right tooo - darn when they arrive i will grab one from stock and test it so we will know :)

yeh thats right tooo - darn when they arrive i will grab one from stock and test it so we will know :)

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed in the US forums that it downmixes DTS to stereo for sound through TV's etc.

But local confirmation would be great.

Are we likely to see these by the weekend Pete?

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed in the US forums that it downmixes DTS to stereo for sound through TV's etc.

thats what i thought...but i cant find it in black and white anywhere, despite thinking i had read it.

But local confirmation would be great.

Are we likely to see these by the weekend Pete?

Good! But can it downmix to your TV and send dolby 5.1/DTS to the amp at the same time?

Good! But can it downmix to your TV and send dolby 5.1/DTS to the amp at the same time?

I doubt it you can only choose "stereo" or "digital" in the audio menu but why would you do that ?

I doubt it you can only choose "stereo" or "digital" in the audio menu but why would you do that ?

For the same reason everyone who does it, does it - It's exactly how my DVD player works at the moment. For example, my kids want to watch a film, so they turn the TV on, play a DVD, and voila, the audio comes out of the TV.

If however, I want to watch a film with full surround sound, then I just turn on the amp, lower the volume on the TV, and voila, done.

I don't want (& certainly don't want my other half etc) to have to fiddle about in menus trying to direct the sound to the TV or amp!?

I see, you know a Logitech Harmony remote even if only used to managed turning on devices and switching inputs (not using it control device x,y,x) would take a lot of the hassle out of that.

You should be able to set up an activity were it mutes the TV automatically and turns on the AMP for the WDTV. If the kids want to watch a DVD just setup up an activity so the AMP doesn't turn on, all at the touch of one button.

If your thinking that sounds like a pain to setup it can be sometimes but once it does its great & very simple anyone can use.

I see, you know a Logitech Harmony remote even if only used to managed turning on devices and switching inputs (not using it control device x,y,x) would take a lot of the hassle out of that.

You should be able to set up an activity were it mutes the TV automatically and turns on the AMP for the WDTV. If the kids want to watch a DVD just setup up an activity so the AMP doesn't turn on, all at the touch of one button.

If your thinking that sounds like a pain to setup it can be sometimes but once it does its great & very simple anyone can use.

Fair enough... But the simplest solution is if it (just like my DVD player) just pumps audio out of both outputs at the same time :)

ie: Just always fire the unprocessed signal out of the toslink no matter what...

The trouble shooting section of the user manual on the WD website says:

AUDIO
There is no sound.
• Make sure the volume on the entertainment unit is
not muted.
• Navigate to the Home | Settings | System screen
and make sure the correct audio output setting is
enabled.
- If you are using the composite audio cable,
the Stereo setting should be enabled.
- If you are using an Toslink (optical) or HDMI
connection, the Digital setting should be
enabled.
• If you are watching a video that supports multiple
audio channels, make sure that the Audio Off
option is disabled. Press Options | <icon>, and
then press ENTER repeatedly until the intended
audio channel is displayed.
Which suggests that if there is only one digital setting, it would output to both ?

Interesting that the WDTV 1 is still on there, so they obviously haven't withdrawn it...yet.

why would they?

surely it caters to a different market, as it offers no network connection, i don't see why the two cannot continue simultaneously

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom