• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

WD Passport 250, 2.5" external USB: What's in it?

gavan

Does anyone know what mechanism is inside WD's 250gig 2.5" 'Passport' drive enclosure?

I'm wondering because I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop with a 250gig WD Scorpio 250gig 2.5" SATA ... If this enclosure has the Scorpio inside as I suspect, I could put that in my laptop and use the Passport enclosure to take the old 80gig drive.

The 2.5" 250gig passport is available right now at a pretty good price so it'd be a great solution for me if it turned out to have the Scorpio inside.....

gavan

Just popped mine open for you - it is indeed 250 gig scorpio with Sata interface.

A WD2500BEAS drive to be exact.

Cheers - much obliged. I was going to pay the cost of a passport for just the SATA drive itself, so this means I get a nice external 2.5" enclosure for free.

(raw drives are designated WD2500BEVS .. wonder what the difference is?)

:smashin:

edit: A quick google found the answer: The BEAS is 2mb cache, the BEVS is 8mb cache. Hmmmmmmm.... tempted by the better performance of the 8meg version.

kwakr

Been very pleased with mine thus far - though only using externally.

I might secure another for internal use - any pointers to the cheapest lcoation - mine was a weekend PC world special a month or two back and appears to be no longer available.

pm1961

ebuyer were advertising the 750GB Passport at £98 until yesterday.........:eek:

I couldn't believe it; by the time I'd done a bit of research to make sure it wasn't an old PATA interface......... Went back to order one and they've gone ! :suicide:

Back up to £138 :thumbsdow

Hey Ho........

PM

EDIT; just looked a bit harder and found a 750GB Mybook for £100.............. Don't know what's going on......... can't find a raw drive for that...........

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132382/show_product_reviews

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom