WD Passport 250, 2.5" external USB: What's in it?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by gavan, Jan 10, 2008.

1. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Does anyone know what mechanism is inside WD's 250gig 2.5" 'Passport' drive enclosure?

I'm wondering because I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop with a 250gig WD Scorpio 250gig 2.5" SATA ... If this enclosure has the Scorpio inside as I suspect, I could put that in my laptop and use the Passport enclosure to take the old 80gig drive.

The 2.5" 250gig passport is available right now at a pretty good price so it'd be a great solution for me if it turned out to have the Scorpio inside.....

2. kwakr

kwakr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just popped mine open for you - it is indeed 250 gig scorpio with Sata interface.

A WD2500BEAS drive to be exact.

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Cheers - much obliged. I was going to pay the cost of a passport for just the SATA drive itself, so this means I get a nice external 2.5" enclosure for free.

(raw drives are designated WD2500BEVS .. wonder what the difference is?)

:smashin:

edit: A quick google found the answer: The BEAS is 2mb cache, the BEVS is 8mb cache. Hmmmmmmm.... tempted by the better performance of the 8meg version.

4. kwakr

kwakr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Been very pleased with mine thus far - though only using externally.

I might secure another for internal use - any pointers to the cheapest lcoation - mine was a weekend PC world special a month or two back and appears to be no longer available.

5. pm1961

pm1961
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ebuyer were advertising the 750GB Passport at £98 until yesterday.........:eek:

I couldn't believe it; by the time I'd done a bit of research to make sure it wasn't an old PATA interface......... Went back to order one and they've gone ! :suicide:

Back up to £138 :thumbsdow

Hey Ho........

PM

EDIT; just looked a bit harder and found a 750GB Mybook for £100.............. Don't know what's going on......... can't find a raw drive for that...........

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132382/show_product_reviews