WD My Passport will not allow itself to be 'safely removed'!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Woggy67, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Woggy67

Woggy67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Recently purchased a Western Digital My Passport Essential 250 Gb Hard Drive. I am backing up my computer files and when I click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon a message comes up stating that the 'Generic Volume cannot be stopped right now, try again later'.

I have no other programs running and have finished copying to the WD hard drive.

I don't want to just unplug it from the USB slot in case this causes any damage. Hence, I wondered if anyone can offer any advice please? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

2. y2k

y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Is a folder still open that is using the drive? If so then close the folder then try and remove hardware again.

3. Woggy67

Woggy67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

There are no folders open as far as I can tell e.g. alt-ctrl-delete shows only connection to the internet as open.

I don't know what else to try other than powering down the pc and rebooting?!

Any ideas gratefully received.

4. Woggy67

Woggy67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To anyone reading this,

For info in the end I waited and finished what I was doing on the computer and then just powered down the computer. This in turn powered down the WD hard drive as it is fed off a USB port.

However, this raises the point that it is hardly portable if everytime you connect it to a computer you then have to power the computer down to get your WD hard drive back!

I visited the WD website and it mentioned downloading a 'device manager' to ensure it can be powered down. However, despite following the links I couldn't find a download anywhere. :(

Once again any advice gratefully received.

5. Steve170

Steve170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have the same drive. When you first do a 'safely remove', it will almost always give the message you describe. Wait a couple of seconds and then do it a second time and it will disconnect (at least mine always does).

Do ensure there are no windows open that are viewing that drive etc.

My other external HD often does the same.

Also, it is highly unlikely to do any harm if you just pull out the cable without safely disconnecting. I think this option is just because Windows can, in theory, delay writing to the HD rather than doing it when the command is issued. The safe remove function just ensures nothing is left unwritten. In practice, I suspect this is unlikely to happen.

6. Woggy67

Woggy67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve170,

I have used it once more and this time I waited for any computer activity i.e. whirring of computer hard drive to stop before trying to disconnect the portable hard drive. It worked fine. So perhaps as you suggest I was being a little hasty. That said when I did try it at various intervals throughout the previous evening it still didn't power down. Thanks for the reassurance though about just unplugging if necessary.

One final question I have now noticed that my internet connection is dropping out periodically and most noticeably when the WD drive is connected. Does anyone know if this is likely to be connected WD drive or what I need to check to stop this happening?

Thanks

7. Steve170

Steve170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Is your modem connected via USB and does it have its own power supply or is it USB powered?

There is a limit to how many devices can be connected via USB at the same time, because the in-built USB ports can only provide a limited amount of power. I suppose it's possible that your modem is dropping out when your hard drive is also connected and drawing power. Maybe get a powered USB hub and try connecting your HD and/or modem through that?

Very occasionally, if I have both my WD Passport HD and my other external HD on at the same time, my PC drops the connection to the WD. Probably a power thing.

8. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    If Windows correctly detects the drive as removable (only seen that fail once in many years), write-behind caching is disabled because external drives can disconnect unexpectedly - by user error or accidents like cables falling out. That indeed means its almost always safe to forcibly remove a drive.

I still recommend you find out why it won't safely disconnect though, getting into a habit of ignoring this warning is risky, one day there will be an unfinished write and you'll lose at least 1 file.

On my system the Foldersize service breaks safe removal. Look for anything running in the background that might be scanning or monitoring drives.

9. modeski

modeski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This problem has troubled me for some time, but I think I've finally found the solution. I've downloaded software called, unlocker Unlocker - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com which releases stuck programs. Some of you may have already tried this and couldn't get it to work with the WD passport. I found that you have to click on "my computer," and right click on your drive icon. You will see "unlocker" in the drop down menu. Click on that and it will show you which programs are hanging up the drive. I then click on "unlock all." You have to go back down to your "safely remove" icon on the task bar and now you drive should release. I found that the explorer program is what usually hangs on several files in the drive, but the above should do the trick.

10. jasonf01

jasonf01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    In the hard drives properties (right-click the drive name and choose Properties from the pop-up menu), is there a tick in "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching" checked?

If it was/is, its likely the process that was still accessing the drive and preventing you from removing it safely was the indexing service. I would recommend unticking this for external drives.

To be honesst, I recommend unticking this for all drives if you know where most of your stuff is (and dont use the search function often), its a pretty invasive scan and takes a fair amount of CPU time and disk access to do.

Hope this helps,
    Jas.