WD Live HD or Playon! HD mini?

isariverson

Standard Member
I am a newbie on media player, this is my first media player, I would like to choose one of these two. I can get them on the same price. I use it mainly for .mkv moives.

WD is smaller in my mind, but some bugs I am worried: a. lip sync problem, b. HDMI connection problem, c. someone reported the movie will freeze after playing 10 min. are they solved by installing new fireware?

I dont know if POHD mini has the same bugs or other problems.

so I would like some opinion from people here. Thank you

Zooks

Please be aware you are probably going to get opinions from owners of either device here so not entirely unbiased :).

I have owned a ver1 wdtv (non live) but replaced it with the playon mini.

My wdtv did suffer some lip sync problems but the live is an updated version so it shouldnt be an issue. The playon has played everything ive put through it without any problems though, including the files the wdtv had lip sync issues with.

The wdtv is smaller but the playon isnt huge either. The GUI on the playon supports YAMJ and Thumbgen but is still not the finished article. Updates are coming and its starting to look good. The led light on the front of the playon is anoyingly bright and personally I think the playon remote control is better than the wdtv.

I bought the playon mini over the wdtv live mainly because of the YAMJ support and it was cheaper at the time. I doubt there are any performance issues between them really. Hope this has been of some use.

isariverson

Standard Member
Thank you for your very helpful reply,

I also found that WDTV has HDMI connection problem, it will switch to component automatically sometimes, does it still exist on WDTV live?

So from your experience, POHD mini doesnt has similar connection problem?

metroman2

Novice Member

I also found that WDTV has HDMI connection problem, it will switch to component automatically sometimes, does it still exist on WDTV live?

I also bought the ver 1 WDTV, it defaults to composite connections on my bedroom samsung so I must use that connection first and then change the settings to HDMI, aggravating;

Zooks

The only times my wdtv did that I found the hdmi lead to be slightly loose so it defaulted to component. Re-seated the cable and switched back to hdmi ok.

The playon has not had any similar issues and its been 100% stable so far. Another bonus is ThumbGen for moviesheets is supported by official firmware which is probably better than the YAMJ function.

If the mini has a flaw its as yet its not a great music player, sound quality is fine but some playback features of other streamers are not yet available allthough have been promised in future udates. Not sure what as I dont use it for music playback.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom