WD Elements 1TB External HDD not showing..

moony1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've google'd to my wits end on this one..

I bought a 1TB WD external HDD a few days ago, formatted it to HFS+ using MacDrive [so it would accept files over 4gb].

All works fine on the PC, laptop and even the XBOX [other than the XBOX only playing WMV files.. not a fault of the drive though].

However when I plug it into any USB port on the PS3, which is the main reason I bought it, the light on the drive flashes for around 5 seconds and the activity swirly circle [top right of screen] on the PS3 "dashboard" twirls around, then... nothing.

No "USB Device" no "Memory Stick", nada, nothing, zilch...

I've updated the PS3 to the latest software, created various folder combinations on the drive ["Video, Picture, Game, etc etc", "PS3"] but the simple fact is it is not even seeing a device.

From what i've read even if the folder structure is incorrect, or the formatting is incorrect, you will still get a "Memory stick" or "USB Device" option appear, although nothing will happen when you click it.

Suggestions/help please?

Otherwise I'll need some help converting my mkv files to play on the xbox...

Thank you and have a good Saturday :suicide:

the hdd has to be formatted to fat32 for the ps3 to read it.:smashin:

the hdd has to be formatted to fat32 for the ps3 to read it.:smashin:

Yup, reformat the drive to FAT32 as dustinr says. The drive should have already come formatted as FAT32 (like mine was) :smashin:

Last edited:
Im pretty sure your Macdrive has created the problem,ie the PS3 cant see it,reformat to FAT32 and the PS3 will recognize it.
Simples

Hmm... see the original problem I had was the PS3 not seeing files bigger than 4GB due to the drive being FAT32, and according to many sites [including this one] the solution is to format it as HFS+

I'll give it a go as FAT32 and see if it at least recognises it, then i'll have to overcome the 4gb size limit...

I've google'd to my wits end on this one..

Can't imagine what your search keywords were then because every google result i can find mentioning PS3, HFS+ states PS3 will only read Fat32 USB drives ;)

I'll give it a go as FAT32 and see if it at least recognises it, then i'll have to overcome the 4gb size limit...

you can't.

you will have to split any files over 4Gb in size. This is why streaming is popular for larger/HD movies.

If your movies are in MKV format you can tell MKV2VOB to split them to under 4Gb chunks automatically for Fat32 drive use.

Last edited:
hi

i have done just the same as the first post says but my problem is that not even my pc (windows xp) recognizes the external drive

any solutions, thoughts...?

Last edited:
thank you for your instant reply, but the first thing is that format for that disc is in grey which means i cannot format it and secondly i am not sure what should i do to initialise the drive

tho option initialise does not exist where you said it should be but all the options you can choose when you right click are in grey anyway so i really don't know what to do

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom