• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WD Caviar Green 3TB - crap!

jammyb2004

Just a quick post to say that as much as I love WD for their efficient warranty replacement service [once I've given them the credit card details up front]

Their 3TB drives don't last but 3 months in my experience! Waiting on the 3rd replacement! Only this time i've requested a physical 1TB and 2TB drive instead as this is driving me bananas!

I don't have these problems with the 1 and 2TB drives that I already have in my server.

Starts off with drives disappearing and reappearing. Then files becoming unusable/inaccessible then system freezes.

It's a shame but its so much to lose in one hit! Thank The Lord for USB3 is all I can say!

Steve Kelly

yeah my (very new/small) experience with the same drive is the same, taking mine back today!
gonna try the new Toshiba 3Tb drive. going in blind though, as can't find any reviews of it. Just got to hope it's better than the noisy/clunking WD Green! For me, the promise of the Green was 'quiet and cool', which I'm happy to take the hit on transfer speed if that's the case (mine is for a media player, needs cool and quiet), but then when the quiet drive aint so quiet, that's no good!

I do hope it's not just cos it's not down to the size, as I did see quite a few complaints about these greater-than-2Tb drives when researching yesterday. we'll see...

3point14

When populating my recently acquired NAS, I contemplated utilising 4 x 4TB or 4 x 3TB as options but issues surrounding both green drives used in NAS and greater than 2TB drives in general made me opt for WD Red 2TB drives instead.

I know some people are using 4 x 4TB but I am not sure of the issues they needed to overcome and whether these put at risk HDs over the size of 2TB.

jammyb2004

I've requested a RED 3TB now as well. But they're still debating! If they turn me down and just send another GREEN. Then it's going on eBay!

Norman

I had 2 x WD 2TB Green dives fail in my NAS - not pleased!

What really hacked me off was WD originally advertised these drives as a good solution for storage devices but discovered a fault in them that causes them to prematurely fail in 24/7 devices. They fixed the problem in the WD red range.

dibdab

Have any of you ran wdidle3 on your green drives to disable or lengthen to 300 seconds the head parking instead of the 8 second default?

dibdab

I was under the impression that the 8 second head parking issue is bad with raid arrays and linux.

I have just stuck a 3tb green in my whs 2011 machine, so will see how I go. I intend to run wdidle3 to set it to 300 seconds as disabling causes some problems with the 30EXZR, maybe give it a try on your next replacement.

Are you running an external drive?

Last edited:

RustySpoons

MadSkellz said:
yeah my (very new/small) experience with the same drive is the same, taking mine back today!
gonna try the new Toshiba 3Tb drive. going in blind though, as can't find any reviews of it. Just got to hope it's better than the noisy/clunking WD Green! For me, the promise of the Green was 'quiet and cool', which I'm happy to take the hit on transfer speed if that's the case (mine is for a media player, needs cool and quiet), but then when the quiet drive aint so quiet, that's no good!

I do hope it's not just cos it's not down to the size, as I did see quite a few complaints about these greater-than-2Tb drives when researching yesterday. we'll see...

The new toshibas are hitachi drives, even says hitachi on the firmware lol! Excellent drives

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom