WD Black on It's way out?

Sinialtstar

So I have re-formatted the whole drive, thank to Techquest, for his time, help and being very patient with me. I managed to get everything important off the drive, so I reformatted it (with Techquest's Help) all I can do now, is monitor it and if it happens again I think to swap it out and take it from there.

Sinialtstar

Although when I did another check disk - the same happens

I then tried it again after this (second one this morning), so I could get screen shot of the disc usage tab in processes, and it wizzed straight through - I wondering if a clean OS install might help (It probably won't though), ( I have a annoying issue where my windows logon picture does not change, (the ones that randomly change) it has been the same one for about 8 months now, I have tried to fix that with suggestions on the net but to no avail. so that might sort that out as well

Attachments

Last edited:

Sinialtstar

Also as a side note, the drive used to be very audible. So you would hear it whirr up, and the heads reading data.. nothing unusually loud but I have noticed that you dont hear these things as much as I used to recently.

techquest

So now you have done the diskpart clean and format of the drive is it behaving or do you still have the problem?

Sinialtstar

No it still has a problem, Often when the PC calls on it, it just goes into that State, for example when I ran the checkdisk, on the empty formatted drive it again jumped up the activity time, but didnt actually do any data transfer bringing my os to a stop.

techquest

So what happens if you try transferring or copying a file to the drive?

Have you tried the drive in a different port on the MB?

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Transfer is 0 when the drive is at 100%.
Sorry, looks like a hard failure.

Sinialtstar

Hi, all So I disconnected the hard drive from the SATA port that it was connected to, and moved it to another one. Unfortunately I did not have a replacement cable, so I had to use the existing one. And I have been moving two MP4 videos onto it, deleting them, and then re-copying them (about 4 times) and (sorry for another screen shot) it's behaving as it should - however I get that it's early days yet.

Attachments

techquest

Good to hear you might be moving forward. It could well be that the port it was plugged into has somehow gone faulty. So fingers crossed and look forward to an update after a bit more use.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Could you do a surface scan?
It sounds like a hard error somewhere on the drive.

Sinialtstar

Thank you I will do I have run the WD tool to check for bad sectors, and it always reports as ok

Techquest: Yes I will keep a eye on it. I wonder of the sata cable was dodgy, As I bought these cheap of a well known retailer that has the same name as a forest. and one of them in the pack was dodgy. I didn't have any others to swap them out with at this time.

techquest

It could be the sata cable being faulty, maybe not sitting correctly or other, only you can decide on that. No good trying to run any tests if you suspect the cable. Let us know how you are getting on please.

dr_jon

I was just about to say what Brunation said...
Run CrystalDiskInfo x64 and post what it says... it doesn't need installing, just get the Zip (it does need the subdirectories when you copy it somewhere to run).

Also look in the Windows Event Viewer - Right Mouse Button This PC -> Manage -> Windows -> System and see if there was a ton of errors (use Filter Current Log on right to select Errors).

Last edited:

Sinialtstar

So it has started doing it again, I will do as mentioned above, but in the meantime I have bought some replacement SATA cables, if not resolved with these. then I think the drive may be on it's way out (I do have a Mechanical WD Blue to swap with), / I can just file a return with WD as there is a 5 year warranty on these drives.

Last edited:

dr_jon

BTW I'm a big fan of SATA leads with locking connectors (which work with the standard connectors) as otherwise it's easy to knock one a little loose doing something inside your PC - but does need you remembering it needs the lock undone before removing (you don't want to pull the socket off the board, although actually I find they tend to pull loose before the socket, but no promises).

Sinialtstar

So I have swapped the SATA cable, with a new one and seems ok at the moment - touch wood.. here is my smart data. It makes no sense to me. However hopefully this post may help someone in the future. Also sorry for the crude screen shots, there is no way to export the data on this software.

Attachments