• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

wchich amp to use with arcam av9 dvd 29 and cables

voice x

Standard Member
:hiya: I have recently purchased a av9 and dvd 29 which amp is best suited to use with bw 803s or 802d to drive them between arcam p7 and the Parasound A51 or any other option?

The cables that I am looking to use are by the chord company any recomendations which one from

1) Chord Signature
2) Chord Anthem
3) Chord corous

speaker cable is the new Chord Epic :lesson:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I use a Rotel RMB1077 power-amp with my DV29/AV9, primarily because of the size of the P7 - I simply didn't have room for a box that size in my front room.

I would have perferred an all-Arcam solution, but the only grumble that I have with the RMB1077 is that it's made in China, and I always have a nagging doubt about that, unfounded or otherwise.

The amp. does produce an effortless sound with bags of power on tap - it drives my B&W 600 series speakers fine. My ears start to bleed if I have the volume on the AV9 much above 50! BTW, I'm using Chord Chameleon interconects between pre and power amps. In fact, I use Chord cables pretty much throughout my system.

HTH

Clem

thatMikeguy

Established Member
I use a Sherbourn 2100 Amp for my Arcam gear. It is a seven channel amp with 7 indepentant monoblocks. I auditioned it agains the P7 and thought the soundstage was bigger and cleaner. It is a much cheaper price point and I just can't justify an upgrade as it sounds sublime.
Cheers

tvh3ad

Established Member
I use the Arcam P7 and it's fine sonically, plus it matches the styling of the other Arcam boxes. That said, I would have gone with Sim Audio Moon if their amps had line-level pass-throughs.

RustyZip

Established Member
Instead of the P7, why not buy 2 P1 Mono Power amps (for front L & R) and a 3 channel P35/3 power amp for the centre & rears, although if you are using a 7.1 speaker setup, your going to need another P35 power amp...

Thats what i did, and its (supposed) to blow the socks off of a P7 (never heard a P7 myself though :) )

If your using 5.1 setup, i would imagine they would roughly cost the same - give or take a £100 or two...

tvh3ad

Established Member
RustyZip said:
Instead of the P7, why not buy 2 P1 Mono Power amps (for front L & R) and a 3 channel P35/3 power amp for the centre & rears, although if you are using a 7.1 speaker setup, your going to need another P35 power amp...

Thats what i did, and its (supposed) to blow the socks off of a P7 (never heard a P7 myself though :) )

If your using 5.1 setup, i would imagine they would roughly cost the same - give or take a £100 or two...

Yes, I think the P1s/P35 would have been better and I considered going that route until I got a very good deal on the P7. For two P1s and a P35/3 I'd have needed to spend at least $1000 more (and for two fewer channels) and I was buying an AV9 at the same time. Also, I don't really have space for three (!) amps.

Sonically the P7 is fine for my needs although, as I've noted elsewhere, I do think it starts to run out of juice at very high volume. This is not a huge concern for me and I have no viable alternative anyway, but it's definitely a consideration if you are trying to drive hungry speakers and fill a large room at the same time.

thatMikeguy

Established Member
I agree my biggest concern with the P7 was if it had enough juice. The Sherbourn is 200W per channel and I never find it lacking. That said IMHO with most speakers you would have to be listenening above THX Reference volume before the P7 would start lacking... VERY LOUD!! If you can afford the space and the $$$ for the P1s and P35/3 then it would no doubt be divine.
Cheers

RustyZip

Established Member
thatMikeguy said:
If you can afford the space and the $$$ for the P1s and P35/3 then it would no doubt be divine.
Cheers

I reckon you could get 2 x P1's and a P35/3 for roughly £1600 secondhand...
Thats some serious hardware for the money...
P7's are going for roughly the same amount...

I had to fit extra shelves into my AV rack to accomadate it all.. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom