• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Waze sat nav

jonw1

Hi,I came across this free sat nav app called 'waze' I searched the av forums to see if it had been discussed before which it had but I couldn't post a reply because the thread was too old. It seems as if it's a user generated sat nav & looks interesting.there was a YouTube video of it on the thread that I looked at (sorry no link) any thoughts peeple?

leehaynes

Downloaded last night and used it for the first time this morning. I was drawing the map as i go and gaining points too. The more people that get this and contribute to the maps the better it gonna get. Its great to see the live comments (and user uploaded photos!) of up to the minute traffic situations.

A big thumbs up from me - even better in time.

bubsy83

What a weird app.
No roads at all show up by me so can't use it as a sat nav and when I click on the traffic problem page it was telling me about a crash in Bangkok :confused: I live in mid Wales :rotfl:

leehaynes

Yeah i should have said, don't go expecting to use this as a fully functioning Sat Nav straight away. Its gonna take a good while to get maps made. This is where us lot come in. The more people that use it the quicker the maps will build and the better it will get.

Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself. I'm imagining the time when the maps are complete and there are users all over the place submitting the current traffic / speed cams / weather conditions there and then. I suppose this could end up being years away :s

One other thing i've noticed - not sure if its down to Waze or not - but my battery is running down a hell of a lot quicker now, even though Waze isn't launched. Maybe there's some kind of memory leak or something running in the background? Is anyone else experiencing this?

bubsy83

They should of just used a complete map in the first place and let the users submit the current traffic etc that would of been much better.

Stream62

Anyone know how quickly the website updates after you have made a journey? Just reading that you can go in and edit or adjust the journey afterwards to make the mapping more accurate.

leehaynes

They should of just used a complete map in the first place and let the users submit the current traffic etc that would of been much better.

Yeah, i would have preferred that but it would have been at a cost. I reckon most of the cost of Sat Nav software goes towards the mapping data. Here its a free app but me have to make the maps ourselves.

I'm quite enjoying adding my little bit of the country, and i'm quite competitive when it comes to the points system :D I'll end up spending more in diesel than it would have been to buy a complete, read-to-go, sat nav. (oh, i already have Navigon! :suicide:

Anyone know how quickly the website updates after you have made a journey? Just reading that you can go in and edit or adjust the journey afterwards to make the mapping more accurate.

I checked this morning and there was no data within my profile on the website. Just checked now and theres still nothing. There is a time and date at the top though which i presume shows the last update time. This says 25/1/10, 0:00 at the moment so maybe all the data is sync'd overnight.:confused:

leehaynes

so how do you map a road?

Just have the app on while you drive around. When you see that there's no road for where you're going just select the steam roller button and it will create a dotted line wherever you drive. Then once your account is updated with the data on the waze website you can add it road names / numbers etc, or just leave it for someone else to do :rolleyes:

Take a look at the guided tour HERE.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Will be running this and doing my bit for the community :D

leehaynes

My mapping from yesterday is now available in my dashboard on the waz website. I asked on the waze forum how often my data would get updated and i was told that its done overnight.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of roads in my town that can be added so will use this as often as possible to help build the mapping :)
Already added my journey in to work this morning which should be available over night.

One thing that is annoying is people putting in the wrong road names. I've already had to correct two locally and it really shouldn't be that hard. "Road London Road" and "High Stree" should be pretty basic things people should get right first time.

bubsy83

There are plenty of roads in my town that can be added so will use this as often as possible to help build the mapping :)
Already added my journey in to work this morning which should be available over night.

One thing that is annoying is people putting in the wrong road names. I've already had to correct two locally and it really shouldn't be that hard. "Road London Road" and "High Stree" should be pretty basic things people should get right first time.

Thats gonna be another problem as well.
What about postcodes how will they be added?

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I used this last night and this morning, to map new roads, also reported a crash, but i can see people getting fed up with it before its had time to be useable.

Its just gonna take ages for a decent map to be built up.

Its certainly not a 'sat nav' app yet.

I think i'll try it again next year or summat.

I've no desire to turn it on going home today.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
And that is ultimately the problem. It won't be usable for a good year or two, but to be usable it needs input from users. I'll do my bit when I can, but there are only so many roads I can add. I'm not going to out of my way to start mapping areas.

jonw1

i think your your right there, its good to get involved and know your doing something constructive but what reward are you going to receive,a point system is great if loads o people do it.. i do see a lot of value in it with mass participation and thats what it needs if it is to be successful.. in these hard times a free sat nav is great and being able to contribute gives a sense of well helping out in my opinion..

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Really not sure about this. I tracked roads but they then seem to disappear. The next morning they're back again but I drive down them and it creates a new track a few feet away from the original road. I just don't see how this is going to become reliable enough to be used as sat nav. It's going to take years to get a decent enough amount of information. I think it would have been better as a cheap sat nav with basic mapping that the users then kept up to date. It's going to take too long to get this off the ground in my opinion.

leehaynes

yeah i had that, the same roads i've driven down are in different locations on different days. It could be down to GPS signal strength maybe.

Its got to be said though (as others already have), now i've done all the roads that i travel on regularly it's losing its appeal a little. I don't feel that there are many users at all local to me as if there was then there would be more roads available and i've got no real desire to go out of my way to get new roads in place.

I'm in the "try it in a couple of years" boat too.

RobM

Distinguished Member
The flaw in this plan is Sat Nav is something people rely on and need to be accurate, reliable and quick. If they didn't need it they wouldn't use it.

So until it's built up and complete, it's useless to most people. But as it's useless to most people they wont use it, it wont get built up and thus it will never be complete.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Ive lost interest now, wont be using it, i have tomtom for sat nav,

wave is a mapping app, and i dont want a mapping app.

jonw1

The flaw in this plan is Sat Nav is something people rely on and need to be accurate, reliable and quick. If they didn't need it they wouldn't use it.

So until it's built up and complete, it's useless to most people. But as it's useless to most people they wont use it, it wont get built up and thus it will never be complete.

i see your point , but if you know where you are going and dont need a sat nav there is no harm in building it up, crikey how did we go on before sat navs arrived a good old map did the trick , i do believe that sat navs are great and do help out , maybe we cannot be bothrered planning a trip so on so forth, i just thought that if your going somewhere you know how to get to then theres no harm in mapping it to help others.. just my thoughts thats all..

RobM

Distinguished Member
i see your point , but if you know where you are going and dont need a sat nav there is no harm in building it up, crikey how did we go on before sat navs arrived a good old map did the trick , i do believe that sat navs are great and do help out , maybe we cannot be bothrered planning a trip so on so forth, i just thought that if your going somewhere you know how to get to then theres no harm in mapping it to help others.. just my thoughts thats all..

I agree, it's a nice sentiment, but it will be interesting to see over time how many people do this. Being realistic, most of us don't get in the car to go somewhere we know and think 'Ah, must plot my route on the Sat Nav...'. At best we use it for traffic alerts, so if the emphasis was on this and it plotted your route anyway I can see more merit.

But you use Sat Nav as a tool to guide you. As a map! If you need it, you need it.

I hope it works, don't get me wrong I wish it every success as user collaboration in applications like this can make them much more relevant... but IMO, it should be collaboration to improve a service, not create it.

jonw1

I often wonder if an application like this can really become something great, now I believe it can be if and IF there was more incentive in whatever shape or form to make it worth it for the user,in my mind this is the problem.

D

Deleted member 27989

A bit of a revival :) I only learned about this app yesterday and have been trying it today and must admit I actually like it.

Lots of accurate traffic info. Some minor road mishaps and tiny wrong routing. However I reported through the app an someone already corrected it :)

Maps don't have fancy buildings nor graphics but actually for navigating and getting upto date traffic info my first day was a good experience.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom