1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to get my mouse working

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by JungleMan, May 4, 2003.

1. JungleMan

JungleMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, I've had a home theater PC for about half a year now. It's a little less traditional than most machines, but anyhow.

My previous method of, well, using my keyboard and mouse was to wrap 25 foot PS/2 extension cables around the room, with a keyboard and mouse hooked up to the ends. Reason being that I couldn't find any inexpensive wireless kb/mouse combos with a range of about 12 feet.

Much to my dismay, I upgraded the motherboard to an Epox 8RDA+ and discovered that the system doesn't like PS/2 extension cables... :mad: I eventually got the keyboard working (apparently it didn't work with my IBM but it worked with some generic I had...go figure) so I know the cables are not bad. However the mouse, just does not work. I have tried about 5 different kinds of mice, and none of them have worked...yet when I plug the mouse directly into the PS/2 port, it works fine!

I tried the problem in my main computer's Abit NF7-S and it ALSO does not like PS/2 extension cables. I sold the original VIA based board, but I have two more in my house, of which I have not tried yet.

What do you all think I should do about this seemingly trivial problem?

I was thinking a USB solution might work, the mouse is USB anyway. Would 2 10 foot USB extension cables work? I am probably going to need about 20ft to work with. Or since USB has a limit I think, would a wall-powered hub + 10ft extension cable work to circumvent that limit?

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, some m/bs have weaker ps2 mouse/keyboard signals than others; maybe that's the prob;em with your new board. Have you asked Epox tech support for advice? I have always found them extremely helpful and had an answer back within 24 hours.

USB can be extended a fair bit, I think, but you may need to use repeaters (cables with an amp in them) beyond a certain length. Subject to the cost of those it might be worth investigating wireless components. There was a recent thread which mentioned stuff around £25, as I recall.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77644&highlight=wireless

3. JungleMan

JungleMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would a wall-powered USB hub work the same as a repeater?

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think so. You'll need to check this with someone like Belkin's tech support, but I think you'd need a repeater every 3 metres.

AFAIK the 'power' to the hub does not amplify the USB signals; it merely provides the required voltage to the ports, as per the onboard ports, which I believe have 5V DC.