Ways of mounting velvet panels to the ceiling

Mr Wolf

Hey guys, I'm looking for any suggestions or reports of tried and tested ways of mounting velvet to the ceiling in front of the screen.

The ceiling is 5.34m wide and has 50mm wide ceiling joists running from front to back spaced at roughly 42cm centres.

I have a row of downlights about 1.4m out from the screen wall and am thinking of removing the bulbs and going over the top of them with wooden frames that stand the velvet off the ceiling by about 40mm. Ideally I'd come out about 2.4M which would be far enough to cover first reflection points of the LCRs, maybe putting some form of acoustic treatment under the velvet.

My dilemma and the reason for this thread is how to mount the frames in a way that gives a clean looking finish. I'd like to avoid screwing through the velvet if possible as I can't imagine it gives a good looking result. One idea I have is to mount them by using overlapping wood joints whereby the frames just slide over ceiling mounted wooden battens. My other idea is to use magnetic door catches and mount the 2mm thick catch plates to the ceiling.

Here's mock up of my magnetic mount design. The velvet would simply with stapled to the frame. I'm planning on using MVEL22 which comes on a 111cm wide roll hence the 890mm frame width.

1622114618662.png

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
strange question, but what colour is your ceiling?

I just used these and then covered the screws with adhesive velvet:

Mr Wolf

The ceiling's currently matt white but I plan on painting it black shortly otherwise I imagine where it meets the velvet panels would be very distracting. I'm also planning on painting the screen wall black.

All the walls are Dulux "Soft Truffle" which unfortunately turned out somewhat lighter than the tester pot but the wife loves it so it's staying...for the time being.

3rdignis

I've got 4 of these on the ceiling

I secured them with strong Velcro

Stick half Velcro strip to ceiling and allow 24hrs to cure.

I was removing smaller panels secured the same way and the plaster came away so I left it under new panels.

I couldn't drill the concrete ceilings.

3rdignis

3rdignis

I'm sure there's better/cheaper but this is what most people use

3rdignis

Better/cheaper as in I spent 10 sec searching.

That style looks nice.

3rdignis

I painted my whole room with Matt black stage paint, dc fix black felt and black carpet to achieve ansi contrast 200-300:1 according to standards this is where people accept as enough and I agree.

Paint might be enough. :)

Mr Wolf

I was removing smaller panels secured the same way and the plaster came away so I left it under new panels.

I see these panels come in different colours. Did you just buy the acoustic panels in black or have you covered them in velvet?

This the black stage paint I'm thinking of using.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I have done two rooms by mounting 9mm mdf or ply panels and countersinking screws into plasterboard fixings mounted in the ceiling. Mount each panel 2mm apart then when happy taking down and cover in velvet by stapling and tensioning by hand on the other side. Very easy then re screw in place and a small coin sized piece of sticky backed velvet to cover the screwhead you can cut a hole if needed for spotlights etc. Sounds skilled but it’s actually super easy. I made about 10 panels for the ceiling and looks seamless

I just laid panels on the floor and Velcro for wall panels and curtains

1622127164791.jpeg

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I see these panels come in different colours. Did you just buy the acoustic panels in black or have you covered them in velvet?

This the black stage paint I'm thinking of using.

this is your challenge.

Paint wont be dark enough when compared to MVEL22, so you'll notice your ceiling.

If your ceiling is darker than your panels, you'll notice your panels.

Nothing is as dark as devore of MVEL, so unless you're planning on covering the whole ceiling in velvet, there is an argument to suggest going for a material which has the same sort of darkness as your paint, which is this case, may be the material supplied with the mafia panels.

Mr Wolf

this is your challenge.

Paint wont be dark enough when compared to MVEL22, so you'll notice your ceiling.

If your ceiling is darker than your panels, you'll notice your panels.

Nothing is as dark as devore of MVEL, so unless you're planning on covering the whole ceiling in velvet, there is an argument to suggest going for a material which has the same sort of darkness as your paint, which is this case, may be the material supplied with the mafia panels.
That's what I fear. I've seen some threads where some people suggest just use paint for this very reason.

That said, all the viewers' eyes are about 3.7m from the screen and I think if the panels came out about 2.4m that might just be far enough to cover their field of upper vertical peripheral vision if that makes sense. Think I'll do a test with a piece of black tape stuck to the (currently white) ceiling at different distances.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
That's what I fear. I've seen some threads where some people suggest just use paint for this very reason.

That said, all the viewers' eyes are about 3.7m from the screen and I think if the panels came out about 2.4m that might just be far enough to cover their field of upper vertical peripheral vision if that makes sense. Think I'll do a test with a piece of black tape stuck to the (currently white) ceiling at different distances.
the easiest option is this stuff, and it works really well......

3rdignis

That paint looks right @Mr Wolf

I painted all walls, ceiling, with front half black carpet tiles.
This creates perfect imersion which I think is what your talking about.

But I was not satisfied with contrast, I treated the last non black spots, grey rug over wood floor at back, black felt on door and radiator.
I am now happy with contrast.
Later reading a standard that says ansi contrast 300:1 is where people become happy, my screen measures 200-300:1 :)

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
I have a fabric track system holding the fabric to the ceiling on the front 2/5th of my room. The back 3/5ths are painted in a matt black Dulux as it has plastered in lighting channels. The difference in the amount of light reflected off the two is phenomenal, so you're definitely on the right track (pun intended) going with fabric. The painted section is out of view when watching though, so it doesn't spoil the effect.

There is an old pricelist lingering on the Web for the fabric track system that was used on my ceiling:

Last edited:

Mr Wolf

I have a fabric track system holding the fabric to the ceiling on the front 2/5th of my room. The back 3/5ths are painted in a matt black Dulux as it has plastered in lighting channels. The difference in the amount of light reflected off the two is phenomenal, so you're definitely on the right track (pun intended) going with fabric. The painted section is out of view when watching though, so it doesn't spoil the effect.

There is an old pricelist lingering on the Web for the fabric track system that was used on my ceiling:
Thanks for this. Did you install this track system yourself and, if so, was it straightforward?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
Thanks for this. Did you install this track system yourself and, if so, was it straightforward?
No, it was done by the guys building the room. They glued it to the ceiling after cutting it into "frames" with a 45 degree mitre, and additionally used drywall screws. There was a good couple of days work for someone who'd obviously done it before in trimming the room - which is around 2.5m x 4m. 3 walls and 2/5th of the ceiling trimmed. 9 "panels" in total as the Camira fabric used is a bit wider than the velvet rolls I believe. Fitting the fabric to the right "taughtness" not to look pulled in places but not so sag either looked like it had a bit of a knack to it...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

This looks like genius mate...

3rdignis

I am planning to staple some Velcro to some wood box section and create space behind panels.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark Audio R5 is Made In England collection launch product
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple launches third generation AirPods with spatial audio