1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways of connecting an xbox

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by zedzed, Sep 6, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

About to purcahse a plasma (PW6 or PW7 maybe!) - and I'm wondering about ways to connect up my xbox.

I was originally thinking about daisy chaining xbox through RGB scart on telewest box - with the output from the telewest going throough a JS Tech "scart to VGA" convertor then to VGA on plasma.

My alternative is to buy a component switch and connect it using a high def. kit to a component switch switch and then on to component on plasma (DVD is also component hence the switch).

Will one of these give a (significantly) better picture than the other?

Side issue - given that the plasma will take my xbox interlaced signal and convert it to progressive anyway - is it worth the hassle of getting an xbox with progressive out? (either american or save game 'hack' to output in NTSC mode)

Cheers,

ZZ

2. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my Xbox connected via its svhs into a scart switch box and then into the pw6, works fine and looks great. If you had the high def kit for the Xbox it would probably look even better!!

How would it do that; AFAIK the pw6 doesn't convert an interlaced signal into progressive on it's own, if it did there would be no need for an aftermarket scaler etc?

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Emm, my understanding (which is limited I admit) is that plasmas can't display an interlaced signal (all the pixels get lit at the same time - none of this "half the screen at a time" thing you get with an interlaced signal). The reason for an external scaler is that it does a better job of de-interlacing than the one "built in" to the plasma.

Hence - there's no point buying a cheapo progressive DVD player - it'll probably have a worse scaler than the plasma itself! :suicide:

ZedZed