Wayne Rooney says players face a no-win situation in wage debate

I don't get why only premier league players have been singled out when there are still a fair few other people in the country earning as much as them who can potentially be asked to make the public sacrifice too.

I'm not debating the morality of whether they should help; it just strange they were singled out.

I don't get why only premier league players have been singled out when there are still a fair few other people in the country earning as much as them who can potentially be asked to make the public sacrifice too.

I'm not debating the morality of whether they should help; it just strange they were singled out.

I think the ‘story’ having a high profile was due to some Premier League clubs announcing they were furloughing non-playing staff and in most cases not topping up the missing 20%, but playing staff still getting their average hundred grand a week. The bill the ordinary taxpayer will have to pick up in each case to pay for 500 staff on furlough for 13 weeks could be equivalent to each player at the club giving up a weeks wages.

I have no sympathy - most people are having either wage cuts or even job losses forced on them, for multi millionaires like Rooney to whinge that he isn't getting the choice of what he does with his money just shows how out of touch he is.

They should take the wage cut to prevent furloughing of non-playing staff and therefore drain the tax payer pockets less with clubs not needing to dip into the pot.

I agree with the ugly scouser.

Why only footballers?

Obscenely overpaid?

Well certainly; and bankers, hedge fund managers and the like are not?

The grotesquely, massively over wealthy, hiding combined trillions away from scrutiny and tax... why have they not been pummelled equally, and more so?

Last edited:
I'm retired now but if this had happened at my last job I would now be on 50% pay and still working - compare with the suggestion that footballers take a 30% pay cut because they are not working.... :thumbsdow

The pay that footballers get these days is completely ridiculous.

The money to pay them these extortionate amounts came from gate receipts at games.

For an indefinite period of time, there are no gate receipts.

No money = no pay

As simple as that.

It's about time these players got a reality check. There's no reason why they should continue their exuberant earnings at the expense of non-playing staff at their OWN ground.

They should consider themselves lucky they're only been asked to forgo 30% - for now anyway.

Who knows, people may realise they can live without football or realise what they pay for 90 minutes of entertainment is completely outrageous.

To think that football was invented to give the poor something to do at the weekends.

We're a million miles away from that now.

Not that I disagree too much, but the money in football these days comes from TV rights.

It’s often been said that they could play in empty stadiums these days (something that may well be put to the rest) the money from gate receipts is tiny compared to what they’re paid by the tv companies.

The pay that footballers get these days is completely ridiculous.

The money to pay them these extortionate amounts came from gate receipts at games.

For an indefinite period of time, there are no gate receipts.

No money = no pay

As simple as that.

It's about time these players got a reality check. There's no reason why they should continue their exuberant earnings at the expense of non-playing staff at their OWN ground.

They should consider themselves lucky they're only been asked to forgo 30% - for now anyway.

Who knows, people may realise they can live without football or realise what they pay for 90 minutes of entertainment is completely outrageous.

To think that football was invented to give the poor something to do at the weekends.

We're a million miles away from that now.

Yes, footballers are overpaid but lots of people in the country are overpaid to their extent so shouldn't they be singled out too?

If the majority of the population feel so strongly about footballers being overpaid and disgusted, then surely we need to start expressing our feelings with our wallets? Stop going to games, stop buying the shirts, stop paying the tv packages, stop paying money to line their wallets.

This is the entertainment industry and we the public fuel it.

I'm an LFC fan. Was gutted about potentially season being suspended and us not winning the title. After seeing how we've treated out staff by not playing them.. I hold no pride in being an LFC fan now. After COVID-19 is done, dependant on the club's reaction to it, I'll stop supporting them for the first time in my life. Other things are bigger than football... and if I'm gonna devote money, time and passion to a club, I want it to be the right club.

This is not a new problem and will exist long after Covid-19.

I remember about 14 years ago, a company I was working for let a ton of people go. I'll never forget the nearly empty bus to work that used to be chock-full of workers. On the same day, CEO calls me to his office, points out his window and and asks me what I think of his new Astin Martin. I was just too dumbfounded to say anything.

There's always going to be high earners in all industries whilst other people are getting shafted left, right and centre.

Watched a documentary about a month ago about some billionaire building his dream home in London. To show his generosity he organized a charity ball/auction, selling stuff like a Bettles guitar, etc. At the end of it he seemed so proud to have generated 500k for disabled children.....

If I remember correctly though he bought the "dream house" for £60m and spent a whopping £80 refurbishing it. It just made the 500k for disabled children seem like nothing.

You view money depending on how much you have. I like to think if I was a billionaire I'd be extremely generous but who knows how it would change me, or any of us.

It’s really no different from say Tom Cruise getting $20m or whatever it is for a movie. If nobody went to watch his movies, that would soon be drastically reduced.

This is not a new problem and will exist long after Covid-19.

I remember about 14 years ago, a company I was working for let a ton of people go. I'll never forget the nearly empty bus to work that used to be chock-full of workers. On the same day, CEO calls me to his office, points out his window and and asks me what I think of his new Astin Martin. I was just too dumbfounded to say anything.

There's always going to be high earners in all industries whilst other people are getting shafted left, right and centre.

Watched a documentary about a month ago about some billionaire building his dream home in London. To show his generosity he organized a charity ball/auction, selling stuff like a Bettles guitar, etc. At the end of it he seemed so proud to have generated 500k for disabled children.....

If I remember correctly though he bought the "dream house" for £60m and spent a whopping £80 refurbishing it. It just made the 500k for disabled children seem like nothing.

You view money depending on how much you have. I like to think if I was a billionaire I'd be extremely generous but who knows how it would change me, or any of us.

It become a bit of a circular argument, which is where the footballers sacrificing pay issue stalls currently. People that earn a lot of money spend a lot of money and pay an awful lot of tax, and to a certain extent the businesses where they are rewarded via, employ lots of others who also have jobs and pay tax, etc., and their businesses often form part of a supply-chain where lots of money and tax and VAT gets generated.

The key question with the current issue of the day is, if all the footballers take a 30% pay-cut, how much tax and NI would that have otherwise put into Government Coffers, versus the company continuing to pay them, and claiming furlough for ancilliary non-playing staff from the Government instead?

The NHS thing is a complete red herring designed to make out the players are some massively benevolent group.

In reality, the clubs don't have an income stream at present nor one for the foreseeable future. TV rights holders will want their money back, season ticket holders and sponsors too. That money will find its way back into the pockets of people who are currently paying for something they're not getting, and will be taxed then.

But this isn't really about them "directly" subsidising the NHS. It's about clubs claiming furlough for lower paid workers through a Government scheme, which is likely to drain more from the NHS coffers than the tax pounds of the footballers. Let them take the pay cut, but put it into paying the non-football staff at these clubs.

Less about taking a pay cut, rather donating some of their wealth, to sustain those who without them, they would be unlikely to have a properly functioning club. If they donate a portion (as opposed to taking a pay cut), they can continue to receive their salaries and pay tax - therefore the NHS doesn't lose out on their "funding".

It’s often been said that they could play in empty stadiums these days (something that may well be put to the rest) the money from gate receipts is tiny compared to what they’re paid by the tv companies.

It’s really no different from say Tom Cruise getting $20m or whatever it is for a movie. If nobody went to watch his movies, that would soon be drastically reduced.

Absolutely.

Fans not shelling cash on TV footy sports packages, is the only way they can stop this.

And, (though you’re right, gate receipts are meh now), fans not going to game, making empty stadiums look embarrassing.

Only footy fans can change the whole obscene footballers wage thing. I’d wager that most don't really care though.

Footballers paying tax ?
you must be joking they make enough money to employ the best brains in accountancy to avoid paying tax

as many have said the whole issue is that the boot boy has been furloughed with 80% of his wages paid by the taxpayer while the Footballer retains 100% of his wages
Who's to blame?
it falls fair and square on the Football Clubs exploiting the taxpayer

Last edited:
IIRC, premier league footballers' tax bills are paid by the club anyway.

Liverpool reversing their disgusting decision.

Fan/Media pressure:thumbsup:

Now how about Spurs, Newcastle etc etc

Liverpool reversing their disgusting decision.

Fan/Media pressure:thumbsup:

Now how about Spurs, Newcastle etc etc

It’s very interesting to see how Liverpool have been vilified for this, and I do agree with the vilification as it was the wrong thing to do

however there’s little on the likes of spurs who are not even topping up wages to 100%

While football moan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom