Wavy lines/interference on LG 26" LCD (26lx2r)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Bernie Steak, Mar 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Posted this in the main thread, but had no reply so far, so thought I'd try it with a wider audience.

I've had my TV for several months now, no problems, but just lately I've noticed faint wavy lines going upwards on the screen. Seems most obvious on TV, and they're almost like interference or "ghosting" lines. They seem to be pulsing/waving upwards on the screen.

This seems new, haven't noticed it before, but now I have it's really bugging me.

This is on Sky+ via Scart, or even watching DVDs via component. I've tried plugging/unplugging various bits of kit to see if one was causing inteference, but unless the TVs own power cable is the cause, I can't single out the problem.

This also happens regardless of if the image is still or moving.

Any suggestions?

2. 9mlholland

9mlholland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you got your tv ariel plugged in the back, i had wavy lines when watchin a dvd before, i just unplugged the tv ariel and it fixed it, try that.

3. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No, don't even have one. There's no regular TV here, I just have the scart and component in use at the moment.

Thanks for trying though.

4. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Anybody have any other suggestions, seems this guy: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317189 might be having a similar issue.

I've tried isolating the TV/power etc. and also tried various TV settings options and the lines are always there, just sometimes more obvious than others. So it seems either the TV has developed a fault, it's been there since day one and I've only just tuned into it, or there's some outside source of interference that has only recently begun.

5. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Something else I have noticed.

If I'm watching something that is very bright and clear, such as "Where's Bo" or the "Blue Cow" animations on Cbeebies, you can't really see the lines, but they appear worse if I'm watching (for example) football and it's a long range view of the entire pitch.

6. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This is still driving me nuts, we've also had a variety of weather since I started this thread, so I'm pretty sure it's nothing atmospheric.

The next test will be to move the TV to another part of the house, see if it's an outside source that's causing this problem.

7. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So it's been a while!

Anyway, I plugged my TV into my computer yesterday (opposite side of the house) and gave it a whirl..

I couldn't see any wavy lines during computer stuff, or watching some HD demo videos.

But what I could see, was with a simple blank screen (grey) the image sort of "wobbled", as if you could see the refresh or it was at the wrong rate or something (which it wasn't). I couldn't stop this from happening. It wasn't an issue when you had a moving image, but with a plain, still screen, you could see the "wobbling" of the image.

Again, this was SORT of like interference, as if maybe it was in time with my PC's workings doing their things (fans spinning and what have you). But I don't know.

Has anyone else used this TV as a monitor and noticed anything like this?

Any hints and tips?

8. Nom

Nom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds like something is wrong to me ! I'd get onto LG and see what they say. It's certainly not something my 32 LX2R does.

9. Alyson

Alyson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've never had this on my 26LX2R. Closest we've had was with a Radeon 9700 Pro AGP card and a 17inch LCD monitor with D-Sub input. Turns out the D-Sub port on the 9700 was poorly shielded, which was causing wavy horizontal lines on the screen when the PC was "working"; i.e. doing anything more than just displaying a static Windows screen. The CRT which the LCD replaced had not been susceptible.

The solution was to use a converter to get an analogue signal out of the better-shielded DVI port on the card. The wavy lines vanished and have not returned since.

10. jon67

jon67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the 26LX2R as PC monitor with 9800Pro VGA output at 1360x768 60Hz (1:1 pix.map). Excellent picture, no blur or interference here. DVDs and games also looks great 1280x720p 60Hz (forced HDTV resolution), however text/lines are a bit blurry/distorted at this res. Nothing I would ascribe to external interference/noise though, guess it's due to the non-native resolution.

11. alimcpill

alimcpill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 26lx2r is doing the exact same thing, a faint horizontal rippling effect, bottom to top. Had the tv since September last year, only noticed this in the last few weeks. It's definitely worse when watching sports and there's a lot of the pitch on the screen, but is visible on almost anything. It seems to reduce after half an hour or so of the screen being on, but it's still just about noticable. This is driving me to distraction. It's like an annoying itch: even though it's not directly doing any harm, just knowing it's there makes you notice it more, and sometimes I get so frustrated I want to smash the stupid screen to pieces :mad:

Have you made any progress with yours Bernie steak? And is the honeymoon period for this otherwise excellent screen over for anyone else?

12. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's the resolution I was testing it at (using 7800 gtx card(s) in sli). It's not blur, and I didn't seem to get the "waves", but more a bit of a "wobble" on screen using it as a monitor. Only really visable on a grey (dark) background (no animation).

13. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Does sound to be exactly the issue I'm having. For example with football, on wide shots (lots of grass) you can see it much more obviously than when the camera is tigher in on the action.

14. Bernie Steak

Bernie Steak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    alimcpill, did you get anywhere with this at all? Speak to LG or your retailer?

15. ChasD

ChasD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is old but did you ever get the definitive answer, as my neighbour has exactly the same issue on a JVC