Wavebird compatible adapter for Switch?

Rob20

Can somebody recommend an adapter that will allow me you use my Wavebird wireless pads from my Gamecube, (as well as wired), on my Switch. I have 2 WBs and 1 wired which would be perfect for 4 player Mario Kart 8. Lapsed Nintendo gamer; finally succumbed. Never bought a Wii U as lost interest with the Wii and it's ropey graphics. Before that I'd had a SNES, N64, GC, (Wii).

Loving playing the old SNES games in handheld form. Oddly, it was the handheld option that put me off as I thought I wouldn't use it. The graphics are better than I was expecting and good enough if no where near PS4 say.

Last edited:

Rob20

Thanks. I was hoping for something a bit cheaper as it's not likely to get used frequently. I bought an adapter for £15, but found it only worked with wired pads. Might have to bite the bullit and get this one. I do prefer to use my GC pad for Mario 8 than the Switch controller.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I was hoping for something a bit cheaper as it's not likely to get used frequently. I bought an adapter for £15, but found it only worked with wired pads. Might have to bite the bullit and get this one. I do prefer to use my GC pad for Mario 8 than the Switch controller.
You can pick it up fairly cheap 2nd hand (CEX, eBay etc). They’re pretty robust, so should be ok.

Rob20

You can pick it up fairly cheap 2nd hand (CEX, eBay etc). They’re pretty robust, so should be ok.
Wow thanks. I had seen it for £35 on Amazon, but £25 is much better. Only £10 more than the one I have that only works with wired pads. Perfect. Matters not whether it's new, just that it works. :)

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Wow thanks. I had seen it for £35 on Amazon, but £25 is much better. Only £10 more than the one I have that only works with wired pads. Perfect. Matters not whether it's new, just that it works. :)
Video confirming this adapter definitely works with wavebird & Mario Kart as well :smashin:

Rob20

Video confirming this adapter definitely works with wavebird & Mario Kart as well :smashin:
Once again thank you. I knew I'd find the answer on AVF! Neat that you can even use it undocked with the right adapter. Will order one now and return the other one to Amazon. Should have come here first and not been so impatient. :thumbsup:

Edit: Just ordered one from CEX. £27 with del. :)

Last edited:

Rob20

Just arrived and works perfectly with my 2 wavebird controllers. In great condition, well packaged and decent price at £27 inc del. Look forward to testing with 4 player MK8. :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom