1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WAV files From CD Using WMP9 ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Del, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Q.

I'm in the process of building my HTPC and wish to transfer all my CDs to the Hard Drive.

Copying my CDs using Windows Media Player 9 will result in WMA files; MP3 if I buy additional software.:confused:

Is there any way to copy the CDs using WMP9 as WAV files?

(before anyone asks, I wish to maintain the nuance of the music which is why I've opted for WAV as opposed to MP3 or WMA )

Del:)

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    You're probably best to forget WMP and get the excellent dbPowerAmp. The basic version is free and it uses the Open Source Lame encoder. It can encode to .wav, mp3 and lots of other formats. Like you, I'm very fussy about the quality of my music but I have found that mp3s encoded at 256k with the "high quality slow ripping" option set on are pretty good. Just checked their Web Site at http://www.dbpoweramp.com and it's dead but I'm sure it's just temporary. There are many other front ends that use the Lame encoder, which is actually a DOS program, but I've found dbPowerAmp to be by far the best.

3. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Gary

Thanks for the heads up regarding dbpoweramp. I would however prefer to use wmp9 as a wav cd ripper if poss ,as i'm familiar with its front end.

Any other suggestions?

4. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i use this program very very good Easy CD-DA Extractor you can find it here you can rip to wav mp3 etc

download the free demo and try it

boogie man :clap:

5. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case you are interested, I downloaded and had a little play with Monkey's audio codec last night. This losslessly compresses .wav files to .ape files and provides a winamp plugin to allow you to play them back. Only encoded 1 CD but it compressed by >60% in <5 minutes. It has got me thinking about using my HTPC as an audio source as well...

Oh, and it's free! IIRC, it was at www.monkeyaudio.com though you still have to be able to get the CD into .wav form...

HTH,

_

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I use WMP9 for my mp3's and the like. I use the WMA lossless packing for storing my music, which means it takes up a huge amount of room, doesn't bother me though, if I run out of room I'll just buy another HDD.

I use WMP9 quite alot for playing back highlights videos and such off the Liverpoolfc.tv website, so it gets quite a lot of useage.

If I want to listen to summit in the best quality I use my Arcam CD player.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Is the WMA lossless a lot better than the other rates ??

At least the Liverpool FC highlights this season won't take up much disk space ;)
    Sorry mate I couldn't resist that :devil:

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The lossless cetainly sounds better than 192kb mp3, but then it should, it tends to be between 300 and 700kb.

I've loadsa highlight of Liverpool games now. The only one I'm missing is the Lazio friendly from the start of the season.:D

9. chriskenrick

chriskenrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, if you are really wanting no compromise audio quality, I'd be thinking about using something like Exact Audio Copy for ripping, and then converting to a lossless format like FLAC

If you wanted to experiment a little, you may find that there is a lossy format that still sounds fine to you. Try the LAME encoder using the --alt-preset and -Z flags for MP3s. Or try something radical like Ogg Vorbis, which seems to give higher bang for the buck than MP3 in most listening tests. The forums of Hydrogen Audio will probably tell you all you want to know and more about this sort of stuff.

10. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :)
    To all, thanks for the replies. They have been a great help!!

I'll try the suggestions of both Easy CD DA Extractor & Exact Audio Copy. :)

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The WMA Lossless codec is exactly that - it's mathematically lossless. That means it will sound identical to a WAV only will take up less room due to it having a VBR rather than the CBR of WAV. The original PCM waveform that would've been produced from the WAV will be produced exactly the same from the WMA Lossless file when decoded. Thus to use WAV is pointless as you're just wasting space ;)

Always preferred WMA to MP3 anyway - much better quality :smoke:

12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Squirell God,

I have tried WAV files using Exact Audio Copy and Windows media VBR files at the highest settings. The VBR WM9 files do sound fairly good, but without doubt the uncompressed WAV files sound much more 'open and airy' on my system. Not just to me either.

VBR files are much better than MP3, but not quite as good as WAV, in my experience.

WM9 is great for playback, such a shame there is no option for creating WAV files instead of compressed files.

I often have problems with EAC cutting the last few seconds off the end of atrack, does anyone have any links to guides how to be an expert with EAC?

For most people VBR will be OK though.

Mark.

13. chriskenrick

chriskenrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the hydrogenaudio forums linked in an earlier post for your EAC question. I think one of the EAC developers hangs out there, from memory. Someone should know the answer, anyway :)