1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wattage for sub compared to rest of sys

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tfraser, Mar 3, 2001.

1. tfraser

tfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was to have a subwoofer with 200W amplification, would this be too much if the Amp was a Yamaha DSPA5 with its 5x 70w output?

I've read that subs need more power to make low frequencies audible due to human hearing.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I reckon that a sub with 2x the power of your amps power per. channel is good.
    I have a Denon AVR 2800 at 85w x5, and my Aegis sub is 150w.

Rick

Having said that is depends also on the size of your room, more power for a bigger room, and some powerful subs can be overpowering in a small room. Though this is not always true, the Sunfire sub mentioned below, has 2700w of power. It needs this power because it is so small and the enclosure it is in is not suited to bass, so the sub is heavily eq'ed to make the sub go low.

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

[This message has been edited by ReTrO (edited 04-03-2001).]

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think there is a direct comparision between the amps and the subs power output, IMHO it merely depends on how powerful or loud you want it to be though more powerful does not necessarily mean higher volume only (but also more control).
    Take e.g. a Sunfire True Subwoofer, it has 2700 Watt - what normal AV amp could even provide 1/10th of it?

4. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree!
    The power rating has no semblance on the actual sound pressure in front of the woofer, it depends on the efficiency of the driver/crossover network and the method of loading the cabinet. Manufacturers don't seem to quote output levels for some reason. Perhaps it has something to do with what the room does to the sound waves when they're let loose.
    Rob.