Waterworld 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I checked some parts of the disk and yes it is loud and a bit messy. Subtle is not it's middlename ;)

This is the first film I saw in the new DTS-equipped screen at my local multiplex. Blew my tiny mind, had never “noticed” the sound of a film before.

Possibly responsible for my surround sound obsession to this day.

So what is the 4K film scan UHD like vs the 4K film scan 1080p recent Limited Edition blu-ray?

I might be tempted by the UHD when it ends up in a 2 for £30 or better a £10 Zoom deal but even then I'm not sure I could go back to watching the standard release as opposed to the Ulysses Cut. If only the UHD had the extended cut in 4K...

Thanks for the Review Simon.

On my "catch it at some point" list

Have the excellent Arrow release but picked this up on iTunes in 4K HDR for £3.99 couldn’t resist a double dip.

Watched this in a Seattle cinema like 2am back in da day and remember walking out thinking WOW... (Mad Max on water)

Hopper (God bless) had me in giggles.
I wonder what Kevin Reynolds thinks about it now, think it was the most expensive film production (200m) back then. Unheard off (of course now its nothing) but back then it was a lot of Mike Ashley pork belly gibbets.

Costner was on a sort of mission back then with Earp, Postman and this. His saving graces were of course Dances with Wolves (Watched it recently) Still BRILLIANT FOLKS! and Field Of Dreams (Build it and they will come) and Perfect World with Clint behind the camera.

Anyway, sorry, gone a bit of topic there. Back to Waterworld. I enjoyed then and think I will again even though the last time I watched it was like on VHS release. The film had everything, big cast, massive production, great action scenes and decent enough script but it did not really create any telling magic, think we either looked to hard to fault it due to the wonga spend making it or just thought it was a step too far and it was a crazy mess like Jackie Stallone face.

Think I need to give it a bash once again (being I much wiser now, well sometimes) and look for what I missed first time round.....

Looking forward to the 4k and DTS spectacle.
Thanks. :D

Have the excellent Arrow release but picked this up on iTunes in 4K HDR for £3.99 couldn’t resist a double dip.
Double dip sucks in the folks :D

All Day
Every day

Just brought it from Itunes.
HDR
£3.99

Actually Batman (Keaton) is only £5.99 4k version too... well tempted.

:D

Loved Waterworld will pick this up on itunes:)

Just did, even though the rotten tomatoes stats that came up rated it about 48% lol.
Rotten Tomatoes? Guess half of them weren't even born when the picture hit our screens :)

"Where it falls is in its relentless pacing and over the top action scenes, with effects and music used to pummel you into the ground – you know, a typical 90’s action film."

You just described a typical 21st century action film. Waterworld, on the other hand, is terrific.

I really enjoyed this film when it first came out, loved the underwater sequence (want his boat). Hopper was his usual outrageous self. Ill probably pick this up once I replace the BR player.

How come this review does not mention that the movie was already reviewed couple of months ago on this same web-site? Did this reviewer forget about the past review or didn't want to mention it?

That review gives an Unmissable award (grade 9, movie 8) Waterworld Blu-ray Review

This review grades it at 6, and the movie gets a 6.

Yes, I understand that these are two different editions, and two different versions of the movie, but a full review (especially if done after a couple of months) should mention that there are several editions (and edits) of the movie, and that some are better/longer/more-complete that the other ones, and if the reviewer knows that there is a better option, he should recommend the better option.

Otherwise what is the point of the review?

How come this review does not mention that the movie was already reviewed couple of months ago on this same web-site? Did this reviewer forget about the past review or didn't want to mention it?

That review gives an Unmissable award (grade 9, movie 8) Waterworld Blu-ray Review

This review grades it at 6, and the movie gets a 6.

Yes, I understand that these are two different editions, and two different versions of the movie, but a full review (especially if done after a couple of months) should mention that there are several editions (and edits) of the movie, and that some are better/longer/more-complete that the other ones, and if the reviewer knows that there is a better option, he should recommend the better option.

Otherwise what is the point of the review?
Two different reviewers who are going to have different views.

Well what can I say third time's a charm, have it on the original HD DVD and a later issued BluRay. Ms Tripplehorn, (a truly shining star), surely worth a third installment on my shelves.

Wow, this has appeared in Zoom's 3 for £30 here or same price 50% off when buying 3 on their eBay store here

Damn, I just ordered the US disc (£12.69) and it's in the post.

I might start delaying my purchases even more.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom