Waterproof Camcorders

arty tribe

I do a fair amount of walking so I am thinking of buying a water proof camcorder, just so that I don’t have to think about the weather if I am going out walking and want to film. I’m fed up trying to second guess the weather if the forecast is a bit iffy, or leaving the camera at home if it is not good.
I know there will still be challenges keeping the lens clear but I won’t be worrying about the camera going belly up.
It used to be that WP camcorders were very basic in the affordable range, but nowadays there are some very good HD ones for not much money.
I’m looking at the Sony GW55 v. Seems to have most of the features of a regular camcorder and is quite light and pocket-able.
Any thoughts before I jump?

Terfyn

Most waterproof cases are designed for a specific camcorder, for example the Go-Pro.
What I think you need is a raincover that will protect the camcorder from rain and spray.
I spotted this one on Amazon: DicaPac WPD10 Waterproof Camcorder Case. It may fit your requirements.

Have you looked at Canon and Panasonic? All the mainstream camcorders are HD but you can convert to any format in a decent video editor. For example I edit my video, add music and voiceover and then convert it into two forms, standard definition for a DVD to send to my family and AVCHD (which your camcorder will probably record in) to be played on my Blu-Ray player. (This is NOT a Blu-Ray disk but a hybrid which can be created in my PC using the DVD burner but can only be played back on a Blu-Ray player.)

arty tribe

Thanks Terfyn
I've looked at waterproof covers but you still have to put it in the cover and risk it getting wet, and if it has some moisture on it you are trapping it in there with your camera. Too much fiddle and risk. I just want to get the camera out and shoot.

chrishull3

I do a fair amount of walking so I am thinking of buying a water proof camcorder, just so that I don’t have to think about the weather if I am going out walking and want to film. I’m fed up trying to second guess the weather if the forecast is a bit iffy, or leaving the camera at home if it is not good.
I know there will still be challenges keeping the lens clear but I won’t be worrying about the camera going belly up.
It used to be that WP camcorders were very basic in the affordable range, but nowadays there are some very good HD ones for not much money.
I’m looking at the Sony GW55 v. Seems to have most of the features of a regular camcorder and is quite light and pocket-able.
Any thoughts before I jump?

As far as i am aware the Sony's GW55 Waterproof Camcorder is the best waterproof camcorder.Good luck

Edit its the pal equivalent of the HDR-GW77
A long thread on that here Sony HDR-GW77: waterproof, dustproof, shockproof small HD camcorder

Last edited:

12harry

Distinguished Member
arty tribe, It would help if you can say what pictures you wish to record - and who will be watching it. Also, your intended means of delivery ( e.g. DVD, YouTube, etc. ).
The GoPro is intended to be put in the waterproof housing, as it's designed for extreme sports. It has the added advantage that it's lightweight and there is no focussing, due to the extreme WA of view ( and AFAIK there is no LCD option when in the waterproof housing.) However, the image quality is very good - if you just want to record where you go, it is a hands-free + easy-use option.

Terfyn

As far as i am aware the Sony's GW55 Waterproof Camcorder is the best waterproof camcorder.Good luck

Edit its the pal equivalent of the HDR-GW77
A long thread on that here Sony HDR-GW77: waterproof, dustproof, shockproof small HD camcorder
OR If you are really serious. Wait for the Panasonic HX-A500E a 4K/25p wearable headcam. Due out here, I think, in May. Waterproof down to 3m. And you won't even have to hold it! You will even be able to get a "deadcat" to reduce wind noise.
Should please the 4K crowd.

chrishull3

OR If you are really serious. Wait for the Panasonic HX-A500E a 4K/25p wearable headcam. Due out here, I think, in May. Waterproof down to 3m. And you won't even have to hold it! You will even be able to get a "deadcat" to reduce wind noise.
Should please the 4K crowd.
HX-A500E Active HD Camcorders - Panasonic UK & Ireland not realy suitable for normal filming Terfyn :)
4k even downsized to 1080P is vastly better than normal 1080P,like quality stills on BD & AVCHD disc but probobly come too late for an old un like me,time will tell though ;)

Terfyn

I don't quite follow your reasoning about not suitable for normal filming. OP is a keen walker who needs a camera to record his outdoor activity and is weather proof. It would not be my choice as a first camera as I want the range of extras that the 750 supplies.
I would still invest in a rain cover for general use. My current choice is the Kata Pro-Light PL-VA-801-17 CRC-17 PL Compact Rain Cover which is like a camcorder anorak, plus a rubber lens hood to support the front of the cover. I agree that the action cams leave a lot to be desired in versatility but supply a need for a weatherproof unit. (plus you can take it in the bath with you - what fun.)

arty tribe

Tertyn 'You can take it in the bath with you'! I do worry about you some times.

Thanks for the reply's, you guys are great. Looks like I will be going with the GW55. Just waiting for the Amazon special deal now.

As a side issue you can now look forward to a rain less summer no doubt.

chrishull3

Tertyn 'You can take it in the bath with you'! I do worry about you some times.

Thanks for the reply's, you guys are great. Looks like I will be going with the GW55. Just waiting for the Amazon special deal now.

As a side issue you can now look forward to a rain less summer no doubt.
Good luck its the best for your needs by a long way.All my rain covers are ok but far from a perfect solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom