1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling and the Northbridge

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nicky, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've decided to make a monster. So far I've got through the following logic.

I want onboard dolby digitial encoding which means someting like an Asus P5AD2 motherboard. But this means Intel, not AMD, which means serious cooling. Which means noise. Which leads me to watercooling.

This seems quite attractive, but does it mean I can get away without a case fan at all, or is this a recipe for turning the passively cooled northbridge into a slightly burned lump.

Cheers for any thoughts.

Nick

2. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Zalman fan on a P4 3.2 , no heat or fan noise, but this is early days, waiting for a new case.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Reserator-based system and don't like the idea of no fans at all. Use at least one exhaust fan preferably a Silenx or Pabst fitted with a Fan-Mate.

The point being that even if you water-cool the CPU and GPU you'll still get heat from the Northbridge, hard disk, optical drive etc. and this'll give the necessary air movement and turned right down it'll be inaudible.