Water Splash part 2

technoholic

A bit of Thursday afternoon creativity. Photo in post 2

technoholic

technoholic

with a LOT of mess.

I followed a Gavin Hoey Adorama tutorial on Youtube, as im trying to do one creative thing per week (its already taught me loads about little things that ive always glossed over before).

Basically, its a white background with a speedlite pointed at it. In front is a tray to catch the water and the the camera is on a tripod in front of that. Wireless trigger while throwing the coloured water in the air, and pray you get a good shot out of it. The key is to keep the flash power low, because you want the flash duration to be as short as possible to freeze the motion. I used a third of a spot above 1/8 power.

Once I got a few good ones, you take a couple good pictures of the stem of the glass while you hold the rim (as you would have been holding the stem to throw the water).

After that its just a case of combining in photoshop and a bit of rotating to match it up. The shape of the arcs of water though are perfectly natural, nothing photoshopped about those.

technoholic

Incidentally, i didnt have red food colouring at home, only pink, so I changed the hue of the pinks to be more red as I wanted to sort of simulate red wine. I think i made it too red though, rather than the sort of burgundy colour of wine. Still looks ok though

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
very cool - though the "wine" definitely looks Rose rather than Red but I think it works better that way :)

technoholic

I agree, it looks fine like this. The only thing I would have preferred is that if I had used more and red food colouring, the water would have stood out more from the white, as it is i had to boost the saturation and vibrancy. However that would have been much more dangerous because of all the coloured water that went everywhere! would have been much harder to clear up if it had been darker :facepalm:

technoholic

Nope. No manipulation in terms of the splash shapes etc. only manipulation is colour hue and merging 2 images together. I took 2 similar images flipped one horizontally and merged with the other to form the heart shape

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom