Watchmen: Director's Cut £7.99

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great film (blew me away) and really fab release.

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=45386

Region ABC of course.

Mark Botwright's disc review http://www.avforums.com/movies/index.php?showtitlereview=9801

watchmenblurayback.jpg

One of the great Blu-rays of the year for me.

ive got the directors cut which is fantastic..how does it compare to the ultimate edition and what am i missing?

I think -although I don't consider myself a fan or expert and hadn't even heard of this story/novel or characters- that the UE went a bit too for in stretching the film as a sit down and watch a film experience. I've only really heard negative comments from the non-fan viewer although people collect it for the packaging and it looks definitive. I love the The Blues Brothers (seen it 50-60 times easy) but hated the director cut DVD and certainly wouldn't watch a 4 hour version. There's a reason stuff is cut usually.

The old UK Watchmen Blu-ray had a different cut but I prefer this one as it has just enough for me. I don't want to know anything else as I reckon the film is spot on just the way it is.

UE review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2723/watchmen_ultimatecut.html Looks a nice package for people who are real fans.

UK (original shorter version): http://www.dvdtherapy.com/review_info.php?id=2071

showing in stock. Was the directors cut 3 disc? The description says no digital copy either.

99159016.jpg

The original release UPC 883929058051 (as above 2 images I used) had 3 discs. DC cut on one disc, extras on the 2nd and some garbage nonsense about 'digital' on another disc.

It also come with the very cool slipcase with lenticular effect.

Looking at the info in MT's spec that's now long gone. So, you get the 2 disc.

This is also in Amazon's sale for $7.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB55H6

I don't know if Amazon are on Twitter though so they may not be kewl. You know. Like.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just ordered. Didn't show for me in stock earlier this afternoon but in stock now :)

I really wanted the US version due to the Maximum Movie Mode which isn't included in the UK version of the Director's cut.

Been loving the graphic novel for years and really liked the film. Can't wait to see the extended cut.

Did this just go away =/ Just my luck..

Unless you use your AV Forums/Axel free shipping pass. Am I the only one who applied for this?!!!! (Mine runs from 24 Nov to 24 Dec).

When? Where? How? :eek:

I somehow missed the free pass, would've come in handy too :rolleyes:

ive got the directors cut which is fantastic..how does it compare to the ultimate edition and what am i missing?

I think -although I don't consider myself a fan or expert and hadn't even heard of this story/novel or characters- that the UE went a bit too for in stretching the film as a sit down and watch a film experience. I've only really heard negative comments from the non-fan viewer although people collect it for the packaging and it looks definitive. I love the The Blues Brothers (seen it 50-60 times easy) but hated the director cut DVD and certainly wouldn't watch a 4 hour version. There's a reason stuff is cut usually.

The old UK Watchmen Blu-ray had a different cut but I prefer this one as it has just enough for me. I don't want to know anything else as I reckon the film is spot on just the way it is.

UE review: Blu-ray Review: Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut | High-Def Digest Looks a nice package for people who are real fans.

UK (original shorter version): DVD Therapy : Blu-ray Review

The UE edition is a massive improvement IF you have read the graphic novel and a must for a fan of the book. It basically the Directors Cut + a little more and splicing in 'Tales of the Black Freighter' in the same way as the book had it.

Personally I love this film and think they did exceptionally well and actually prefer the ending in the film compared to the book (which was a bit daft tbh) and for me its the Ultimate Edition everytime. If you have never read the book but like the film defo go and get it...or at the very least watch the animated comic (which comes with the Ultimate Edition set)

Tempted to buy this so I have the complete set of Watchmen Blus inc the US steelbook

Just ordered. Didn't show for me in stock earlier this afternoon but in stock now :)

I really wanted the US version due to the Maximum Movie Mode which isn't included in the UK version of the Director's cut.

Been loving the graphic novel for years and really liked the film. Can't wait to see the extended cut.

I got the US one for the maximum movie mode (and very good it is too) and DTS as I dont have HD sound as yet. UK one doesnt have DTS. The UK editions (both theatrical and directors cut) are supposed to have a very very slightly better transfer but whether those of us who are normal could tell them apart whilst watching the film (not screenshots!) is another thing ;)

I saw the Tales of the Black Freighter animation seperately - whilst its quite good, I really didnt fancy seeing it as part of the Watchmen film (ultimate cut) as it would make a long film even longer. I can see why hardcore Watchmen fans would go for the ultimate cut though.

Last edited:
all sold out out axel now and the price has gone up too

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
When? Where? How? :eek:

I somehow missed the free pass, would've come in handy too :rolleyes:

It was in the 23 November AVForums newsletter:

Get free shipping until Christmas at AxelMusic.com (valid for UK customers only).
AxelMusic.com (our main sponsor of Blu-ray imports review discs) is currently offering a free VIP FREE SHIPPING card (good until Christmas) to all AVForums members with a shipping address within the United Kingdom.

All you have to do is send an email including your Axel member number and your AVForums login name to [email protected] before 5pm GMT on Friday the 26th of November and you will automatically get your new VIP card by email within hours. If you do not have an AxelMusic.com member number, you can easily sign up here.

Didnt know there was a newsletter! where do i sign up?

Didnt know there was a newsletter! where do i sign up?

mate, if you have an account with them, drop them an email. I just opened up an account and emailed the VIP email address above and they sent me one. It's only valid for a month but better than nothing!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom