Watching widescreen DVDs on non-widescreen TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by grawinton, Aug 29, 2005.

1. grawinton

grawinton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD recorder and a pretty old non-widescreen TV. I can only get most pre-recorded widescreen DVDs to play in letterbox format. The handbook says that if I set the TV aspect to 4.3, DVDs ought to play in 'pan and scan' format (unless prohibited by the recorder of the disk). But almost all the DVDs I've bought/rented only play in letterbox.

I'm sure this is basic stuff - can someone help please?

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think Pan/Scan only works if the DVD box is labelled 4:3 as an option in some way

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,022
    The Pan & Scan option in your player's menu is there so that suitably coded discs will play in this manner. It's part of the DVD spec, but there are very, very few discs which have been mastered with the necessary code. If it isn't there, you get letterbox. And there's nothing in the packaging to indicate presence or otherwise of this code. It's pretty safe to assume it isn't there.

But then.........the only "correct" way to watch a widescreen movie, is widescreen. Anything else and you're missing some of the image.

So, you either have to live with it, or consider getting a widescreen TV, which, although not always getting rid of the black bars totally, will reduce the proportion of the screen they occupy.

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    It's actually quite annoying, I think. If a Sky box and a Freeview box can get it right (ie when you pick 4:3 that's what you damn well get!) I don't see why DVD players can't do it too.

Not that I've actually got any 4:3 displays anymore, but it's the thought that counts.

Regards

Mark

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yes but the 4:3 'cut out' which is what you get on Sky and Freeview (DTV) option will be useless on a WS DVD.
    It's just about watchable on DTV with more and more TV progs ignoring the '4:3 safe area'.

6. grawinton

grawinton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - not as basic as I thought obviously. Looks like I have to live with it until it's new TV time!

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think 4x3 centre crop is totally wrong it ruins 16x9 programmes and because of this I'd say that Sky and Freeview boxes get it wrong!

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips DVD/VCR do it via 8 different zoom modes which work independant to any disc settings (only machine i could find that would do this) - this day and age you should be able to watch it upside down or back to front if you feel like it