Watching while Recording ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Suzan, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Suzan

Suzan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I have managed to get my Panasonic DMRE85 set up ok.
    Now, one question...

if I have read the forums correctly am I right in understanding that I can not watch one Sky channel while recording another Sky channel?

But that I can watch terrestrial and record Sky?

Not really what I wanted as our terrestrial connection is fuzzy at best. But, if I do go with that for watching, can you confirm how I am supposed to connect it to be able to watch.

Right now I have all connected as recommended Sky TV out -> DVR AV2 and then DVR AV1 -> TV Ext1.

But I was recommended putting Sky VCR out to TV Ext2 - why? what does this do for me except put the same thing on both telly outputs?

I dont really understand all the RGB and composite and RF stuff yet - getting there though :)

And, if you can let me know where to connect my terrestrial aerial in that would be great.

Hope someone can help - and thanks for the help on my other questions!

Cheers
    Suzan

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can't watch one Sky channel whilst recording another Sky channel using the dvd recorder. This is only possible if you have Sky+ and use it to do the recording.

You can watch a terrestrial channel whilst recording a Sky channel and vice versa.

The aerial should be connected to the RF in on the dvd recorder. A further lead needs to be taken from the RF out on the recorder to the aerial in at the back of your TV.

I see no reason to change the connections you have at present.

If you don't want to get into the technicalities of RGB etc, I'll end here.

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You can watch terrestrial through your TV provided it has a tuner in it.

You cannot watch one input through the unit (tuner or scart) while recording another through the unit.

All you can do is watch another recording from either the HDD or DVD.

The reason for SKY VCR out to TV Ext 2 would be so that if you were recording from terrestrial on the E85 you could still watch SKY through TV Ext 2 - doesnt sound like you want/need this though...

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you've got Sky+ you can do that, just record one and watch the other. If you are wanting to use your e85 to record, I'm presuming (because I haven't bought one yet) that you can only record the program you are watching onto the e85. If you have Sky, rather than Sky+, this would also be the case.