Watching tv via DVD Recorder tuner: Should the pic quality be slightly worse?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Cooksley, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Following on from another thread (but as this is a slightly different topic, i've started this in a new one!!) but can anyone please answer me this:

I have a Sony CS70 tv/Sony GX300 DVD recorder and Goodmans Freeview box.

I have connected my freeview box via line 3 scart on DVD recorder (as suggested in the manual). Now, I notice, when watching signals via freeview or analogue via the DVD tuner that the picture quality "drops" a little ... What I mean is that the edges of say text etc.. look shimmery... I am watching via AV2 RGB... When I flick back to say AV1 which is directly say back to the freeview picture it looks kind of softer but less shimmery - ie better picture.

Could this be anything to do with a dodgy scart lead? I know my scart from DVD recorder line 3 to freeview box is not that brilliant - so I was going to try a good quality lead - but - generally speaking - when watching tv (freeview or analogue) via the DVD internal tuner do u expect to see a slight drop in quality???

Any help really appreciated

Thanks

Paul

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there again

Upon trying to make enquries some people do think that the signal is degraded when it runs through the DVD tuner ... can anyone please confirm this for me..

I am trying to work out why text looks a little "shimmery" via the DVD tuner... I have the scart/rgb set as it should be etc...

Thanks

Paul

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I haven't experienced this (with my Toshiba XS32). If you have some poor leads I think it could also be this.

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,934
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by the Dvd tuner..........the Dvd tuner is surely analogue.........therefore you would expect the pic to be worse than your freeview pic via RGB scart!

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think when he says DVD recorder tuner he simply means watching the freeview on one of his AV inputs on the DVD recorder rather than via the aerial cable (coax) with channel tuned into his freeview box.

The shimmering text you describe Paul is an artifact of a composite signal. So you are viewing in composite.

First off, I assume you have RGB capable scart leads. To check have a look at one of the plugs on all your scart leads. Generally a scart lead that has all its pins is a fully wired scart lead capable of RGB (if you look at a bog standard scart lead from a games console for example you will probably see that it is missing most of its pins, ie it just has the earth, audio and composite pins), but the way to check for definate is to open the plug up and check if all the pins have wired connected to them, hence 'Fully wired' scart lead. So if you have all fully wired leads then your problem lies elsewhere.

Next thing to check which I am sure you have done already, but I'll mention it anyway is to make sure you have RGB output switched on in your Freeview setup menu, RGB input switched on in your DVD recoder setup menu and that you are connecting the Freeview box to the correct scart socket on the back of the recorder. It'll usually be labeled Sat/Decoder.

Next assupmtion is that you have two scarts on the back of a freeview tuner, one marked TV and the other marked VCR. If freeview boxes are the same as most SKY and NTL boxes then only the TV scart outputs an RGB signal while the VCR scart only outputs a composite signal. This was fine while most people still had VCR's which can only recieve/record a composite signal anyway, but with the advent of DVD recorders which work best with an RGB input, you would hope that from now on new Freeview,NTL and Sky STB's will come with two Scarts capable of RGB output. I take it you have the Freeview TV scart socket linked to your TV's RGB capable scart socket and that you have the Freeview VCR scart socket linked to your Sat/Decoder scart input on your DVD Recorder and then your TV scart ouput of your Recoder to your second scart socket on the TV. Setup this way your recorder is only getting a composite signal via the VCR scart of the freeview box.

Thats why there is such a differance between watching Freeview directly on the TV (via the Freeview/TV's RGB scart connection) and watching via the recorder which is giving you a composite version. Also assuming that your TV only has one RGB capable Scart socket on the back....(New TV's from the last year or two generally have three sockets two of which are RGB+Composite capable and one of which is S-Video+composite capable, slightly older TV's generally only had two scart sockets one RGB+composite and one S-Video+composite)...and your direct freeview->TV connection is already using the one RGB capable connection, then all output from the recoder is probable composite at the moment be it DVD playing or Freeview passthru! If you have 3 TV scarts sockets and you are using the 2 RGB capable ones then ignore most of the last paragraph!! :D

Anyway!!....if you want to watch Freeview via the best signal ie. RGB and you want to Record the best signal ie RGB...which I assume you do! (God, I'm making a lot of assumptions tonight!) then you can do two things. The first is to connect the Freeviews TV(RGB) scart to the Recorders Sat/Decoder scart input and the Recorders Scart output to the Tv's RGB scart input. This will enable you to watch in RGB and Record RGB too. In other words you would now always be watching Freeview via your DVD Recorder albeit in RGB now rather than crumby composite. The slight downside is that you have to tell the family that rather than just having so select say AV1 on the TV to watch freeview, they now have to select AV1 on the TV and select say AV2 on the DVD recorder. The other thing is if you turn off the DVD recorder you will probaly lose the Freeview signal. Passthrough while the Recoder is off is usually enadles by a button the the recorder/its remote called Satmon or similar. Small price to pay for RGB though.

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Keith

Firstly many many thanks for your detailed explanation. It was extremely helpful and is exactly the sort of reason I like reading and posting on forums like this - you explained exactly what I am experiencing and I now fully understand the scenario - so thank you..

My Tv (Sony CS70) does have three scarts, two of which are RGB. As regards my freeview box (Goodmans) yes, I think you are spot on - obviously only the two scarts - one for tv and one for video/dvd recorder - one of which as you explain will only be RGB - the other composite. I didn't realise this - I thought both sockets were RGB but obviously they aren't.

Do u know - are there such things as 2 x RGB scarts on freeview boxes now? I bought mine only a year and a half ago, but obviously didn't think about the RGB/composite scenario then!

At least you have made me fully understand what is happening (I have spent hours and hours trying to correct this - obviously to no avail!!).

I shall try your workaround which I am pretty sure should work for now, but really I guess, the best thing is to have a freeview box that has 2 x RGB enabled scarts...

Anyway, can't say it enough - thanks ever so for taking the time and trouble to explain this for me.

Regards

Paul

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No problem Paul. :D

I actually forgot to mention the second option in my post other than passthru ie. always watching freeview via the Recorder.

You could get an amplified Scart splitter. (has to be a powered amplified splitter because a passive splitter will simply divide and probably degrade the RGB signal going to both the TV and the Recorder) You would have your Freeview TV(RGB) scart connected to the Amplified splitter, then one scart from the splitter going to the TV and one going to the Recorder.

8. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Actually Keith, all I did tonight, after reading your explanation was to move the scart lead (which is connected from the line 3 input on the DVD recorder into the VCR socket in the Freeview box) over to the "TV" other socket (the RGB enabled one) on the freeview box - and hey presto - I can now record via the DVD in RGB and strangely enough the signal is not lost when I turn off the dvd recorder - the freeview picture stays on the same AV2 channel as the DVD recorder.. The lead that I took out of the "TV" socket of the freeview box is just left not connected !!!! Goodness knows how it's working -but it seems to be..

Thanks again, Keith - really appreciated

Paul