Watching TV through a DLP projector

A

AndreasB

I'd like to get rid of my TV altogether and use my projector for watching TV. I know this will use up the bulb life quicker, but aside from that what are the disadvantages? Can you get an adaptor that converts a TV coax to RGB or other format that will be accepted by my projector (the S-video input is already used by the DVD player), or is there a way to adapt the coax signal so that it can be plugged into the DVD player, and therefore use the existing S-video route to the projector? Also is there any way of boosting the TV signal to give a brighter image (apart from waiting for HDTV).

Many thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Andreas B.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Watching TV through your projector will mean you need a blacked out room or you will get a poor picture. I personally don't want the news 6 foot across and would opt for a small LCD TV for day to day viewing in your position but each to their own.

The way to convert a coax aerial signal to RBG over SCART or component is to buy a freeview box with RGB SCART or component outputs. Not all PJs can accept RGB over SCART so check before you purchase.
The alternatives are a PC TV card to VGA or a VCR to composite.

fallwood

Novice Member
I used my pj as a tv replacement for about 4 yrs, I eventually gave up after constant repairs, blown bulbs , dust build up, panel failure, polarizr damage etc.

It worked out that I was buying a new pj every year as after 12months of general tv useage the pj was on its last legs . Current lcd and dlp pj's are just not up to the job of everyday use despite what the manufacturers may claim , believe me I gave it a good try and it just doesnt work.

After years of hassle and heartache I eventually bought a 42" plasma for general Tv use and now my pj only gets turned on for watching films and the odd bit of gaming , I also find that I appreciate the huge picture from the pj a lot more now.

In short 'dont do it' buy a plasma for general tv and save the pj for movie nights.

davee

Expensive and unsocial way of watching tv imho

A

AVdavid

I watch a lot of Sky through my projector and it is greatI also have a TV but much prefer the pj.Cheapest wayto get TV to it is a freeview box with S-video, channel all my AV inputs through my AV receiver which is then upscale to component saves all that switching malarchy. It is really a personal thing though comments like anti social are unwarranted.

Dave

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
i barely switch my 28in CRT on anymore, and my computer doesnt even have a monitor hooked up to it, it all comes out of what you see below in my sig and I LOVE IT! :)

granted in the daytime things can get a little washed out altho the windows in this room are behind the screen so it isnt so bad as having light shining directly on it...lol

but i'm out in the daytime so it doesnt bother me..heh....come home around 6-7pm, fire up the PJ, then surf a while, watch a film, then game a while.....been doing this for 6 months solid (i use it even more at weekends when i'm not out and about) and have clocked up almost 1500 hours......no problems with the PJ so far (touches wood)....well, other than the time my makeshift shelf for it broke, it slid off and dangled by its VGA cord...(was sooo glad i'd bought that thing...it screws in...heh)......still works fine tho....heh (what scared me when it happened tho was i heard glass break, thought it was the bulb or lens, turned out to be a small whisky tumble i'd left on the shelf the previous night and forgotten about....lol)

anyhow, one thing i've noticed since i've had this, i dont suffer any form of eyestrain headache type things, used to get that watching my CRT all the time some evenings when i was watching a lot of stuff or staring at my PC monitor etc.....now its lovely :)
(and just got a 360 which is loving the 86in abilities with PGR3 and COD2...heh)

edit: oh, from a Sky box, or any video source with RGB output (other than a DVD player which you should use the digital or component connection for) via Scart, you should buy a RGB Scart to Component adaptor......beats the pants off using s-video.....bit more expensive, but its only a once off cost, worth saving up for in my opinion :)

jamieuk23

Banned
I am gonna use my PJ as a tv in the next few months for the world cup with the lads !!!

you cant beat watching it on the PJ with a fridge next door full of cold beers. cuts all the Qing up at the bar and fighting for a tiny spot in the pub.

After that Will be back to just normal use >> movies xbox 360.

:thumbsup:

SanPedro

I used my Panny AE1000 for almost 4 yrs as a TV substitute.

But as has been pointed out they are a lot more costly to run than a TV and on my particular model it accumulated dust blobs and panel warping that left pink and yellow smudges on the screen image.

It also meant that in summer you couldn't watch TV till late evening as the room wasn't fully blacked out.

Initially I used to think having the TV 7' across was great but eventually I realised that the costs didn't justify it. I'll now use it occasionally for movies on SKY, or decent programming - like Battlestar or 24. But for the kids watching cartoon network, or the Simpsons, it's back to the good old CRT I put away after we first bought the PJ.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I don't think Coronation Street etc should look bigger than a Hollywood blockbuster, especially if it's a cinemascope movie. You lose the visual impact a large movie image has if you see everything like it. IMHO of course. :)

Gary

davee

AVdavid said:
It is really a personal thing though comments like anti social are unwarranted.
Dave
I said unsocial not antisocial. :devil:

Edd9000

i only have the projector, but i probably watch less than 10 hours of sky a week, so i guess it depends on how much tv you watch, or other members in the house watch, the wife watches tv in the other room, she doesnt need 100 inches for the tyra banks show!

edd

R

RxRacer

Is one type of projector known for having longer bulb life than the other? I read today that LCD bulbs last longer.

evolution400

I am of the same mind a projector should be for movies, gaming etc not for everyday viewing.
I have a "50 DLP TV for everydau viewing which is sufficient IMO.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
It makes no difference if a lamp is in a DLP or LCD projector. It's the application of the electronics etc that can make the difference. Sim2 produce DLP projectors, some of which have lamp lives over 6000 hours. I've heard some Sim2 lamps lasting over 8000 hours.

The lamps tend to be UHP so are basically the same. Quite often a new pj will get a new lamp designed for it, and sometimes there will be manufacturing defects so the lamp doesn't last sa long. That can happen with any lamp in any pj though.

Gary.

cyberheater

fallwood said:
I used my pj as a tv replacement for about 4 yrs, I eventually gave up after constant repairs, blown bulbs , dust build up, panel failure, polarizr damage etc.

It worked out that I was buying a new pj every year as after 12months of general tv useage the pj was on its last legs . Current lcd and dlp pj's are just not up to the job of everyday use despite what the manufacturers may claim , believe me I gave it a good try and it just doesnt work.
I'm not sure that's true. It maybe a problem for LCD machines but DLP don't seem to give up the ghost so easily. Perhaps that's the reason why they are chosen as the technology of choice for rear screen tv's.

If you're going to be using it as a TV. Get a dlp machine.

Drew2

Novice Member
cyberheater said:
If you're going to be using it as a TV. Get a dlp machine.
That's my next move - same problems as Fallwood but can't go back to small screen viewing!:D Has to be PJs from now on in.

M

morey000

New house situation: Wall is 22 ft from couch. Even a 50" flat screen would look small at that distance- but a projection could be perfect. West facing windows make it a moderately bright room.

I'm OK with a 4:3 projector. We don't watch a lot of TV, but some, and intend to use a projector as the all purpose TV and Movie projector. I'd like to mount it on the ceiling 11ft from the wall, and project about a 90" image. I'm figuring that I need over 2000 ANSI Lumins. Perhaps something like an NEC LT280/380 would do the trick for a reasonable price?

It seems that most of the 'home theater' projectors have a lower light output, and the business projectors are brighter. But what should I be concerned about? I don't need the most perfect visual experience- but it should look pretty good.

Boogle

Novice Member
I'm in two minds about using a projector as a general TV. As has been mentioned, it'll dampen the effect movies have - they won't be much better than a good TV show. But conversely it'll make standard TV seem amazing :) There is the problem of the bulb in a projector, you can't just turn a projector on and off when you feel like it, but you can with an ordinary TV.

I found a happy middle-ground by using my monitor (PC has a TV card) for general TV. You sit close to a monitor so 20" is plenty big enough. The projector I use for extended gaming sessions and movies, which works really well.

Also as has been said, projectors such electricity (~200W) and you have to replace bulbs after a few thousand hours. A TV will keep on going with less power and without replacement backlights.

Bert Coules

I use my (LCD) projector as a TV and have done for several years. I really can't imagine going back to a conventional set, though I do have a small LCD monitor for setting up recordings and very occasional brief casual viewing.

It's a personal thing of course, but I find the expense is more than justified; and since I have no-one to accommodate but myself, blacking out the room for daylight viewing is no problem at all.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett