Watching tv-program with Yamaha RX-V477 display in the screen

Heijaripena

Novice Member
Hello, This may be easy question for many of you. A very small but practical issue: how to watch tv and see the audio receiver (here Yamaha RX-V477) display in the tv-screen at the same time? Yamaha display shows e.g. the radio channels or Spotify source used.
I have hdmi connections, the ARC doesn't give any add on value for me, because I want to use the tv speakers indipendently as an option.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not too sure as to what you are asking?

If wishing to simultaneously listen to an audio source while a different a video source is being output to your TV then the AV receiver has an option that facilitates this.

THe source has to be a dedicated 2 channel audio source, but if you select this source then press the OPTION button, you can navigate down to the VIDEO OUT option and use it to select an HDMI video source that will then be displayed while ever you are using that audio source. THe option to select a video source will only ever be available to you if and when using one of the audio sources this feature is applicable to. Note that the video can only besourced via one of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs.

If you simply wish the AV receiver's own onscreen graphics to be shown on your TV while playing audio sources then simply cpnnect the AV receiver's HDMI output to the TV's input and select that input on the TV. THe AV receiver has a graphic inerface for its own media player that should be visible if using the AV receiver to play audio sources such as radio or Spotify etc.

Heijaripena

Novice Member
Hi dante01, thank you for your reply.
My wish is to see the Yamaha receiver's own onscreen graphics to be shown on my TV while playing audio AND viewing (other program) tv simultaneously.
In spite of your detailed advice, I haven't succeeded, yet, to implement that.

You mentioned the Yamaha's option-button. Is the idea to use one of the Yamaha's 6 html input connection as video output to get the Yamaha's onscreen graphics visible in tv? I tried this conbection, amount others, without success.

The only way to see the Yamaha receiver's own onscreen graphics in my tv is, so far, to turn on the tv's input to Yamaha - but then I can't see tv channels.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You cannot overlay the AV receiver's own graphics over video sourced via the TV or mix the AV receiver's menus into video not actually passing through the AV receiver.

If watching anything on the TV who's video isn't actually passing through the AV receiver then you cannot access the AV receiver's own graphics at the same time.

The AV receiver's menus and onscreen graphics are only shown on the TV if the video being displayed on said TV originates from the AV receiver. This includes video sources connected to the AV receiver that are passing their video signal through the AV receiver and out to the TV. If the TV is the source or if the source is a device connected to the TV then you cannot mix the AV receiver;s own graphics into the associated video signal.

Heijaripena

Novice Member
Thank you, again. Can I overlay the AV receiver's own graphics over tv stream, by gaving a separate (second) tv-tuner module connected to the Yamaha's html-input, which by html output is connected to the tv-monitor?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The TV's own tuner or SMART apps are entirely different video sources than the AV receiver and not subject to the AV receiver's own video processing. It is the AV receiver that integrates its graphics into the video passing through it. It the video signal isn't passing through the AV receiver then the AV receiver can't mix its onscreen graphics

If the video signal isn't passing through the AV receiver then no menus or onscreen graphics associated with the AV receiver will be accessible in conjunction with that video.

If you connect A TV STB (Freeview box, satellite TV box or cable box) or any other video source to the AV receiver and pass the video through the AV receiver then yes, you'd then be able to mix the menus into the video signal and output both that video and the meus to the TV, accessing both via the same HDMI input on that TV.

Heijaripena

Novice Member
OK - thank you. In today's media environmnet at homes, many of the devices connected via the wifi, and the monitored centralized via tv-screen - many open simultaneously, lack of getting the control graphics overlayed, is a real deficiency (in my opinion).

dante01

Distinguished Member
Maybe you forget that you are still governed by the physical path of the signal? Irrespective of how inconvenient this may be to you. it isn't actually something that is physially possible to do or it would have been done already.

The video signal isn't passing through the AV receiver so the AV receiver has no means by which to mix its graphics into thet video signal. THe TV's own tuner and the AV receiver are 2 seperate independant video sources.

Heijaripena

Novice Member
dante01, I have to admit, I'm the least technical guy, i. e. only the very simple, practical end-result of the current situation is what I judge.
I don't know how the desired, described in above thread, should/could be technically solved, I only can say what is this feature is needed. And was a bit surprised, that I can't do this (comparing all the complex things available, one could imagine, that someone had given an easy, all-available solution for consumers for this.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd like to teleport places rather than having to walk or drive there :)

A cure for cancer would be rather cool too.

Heijaripena

Novice Member
Hmm... I didn't expect, that the thing I was looking for, was that ambitious.
Maybe this just shows the abyss between the engineer and an ordinary end-user.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom