1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching TV on the PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pcookie, Jul 20, 2005.

1. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a decently specced family PC (Carerra) which I want to use in the kitchen to replace existing TV and HIFI etc and as part of the package, it came fitted with an ATI wonder card. Now I've tried getting a TV picture by attaching a powered aerial, but could only get one channel which was very ropey quality. My questions are this. If I attach a decent external aerial to the PC will that improve matters? Is the ATI wonder card any good for watching tv? Is there a better way to watch TV on the PC? Can I get a freeview PC card? Do any cards have scart?

Sorry for the long list, but I don't want to ditch the PC idea if it can work.

Thanks
    cookie

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,283
    the 'best' Freeview card is the Nebula DigiTV Pci... a very very good product.

I've never had any of the Ati TV cards myself, but a few mates have and all hated them generally, they had constant probs with the tuner IIRC..?

If you do go this route, It may be worth UG your main aerial too.
    The whole house benefits,not just the kitchen PC, so the wife can't possibly say no....?

(unless it's her doing the ladder-work, which would be fair enough..) :D

3. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a carrera and 8500 AIW card.

Check and update the software for the card, remote, if you have.

You should find the tuner software allows a full frequency scan, set to analogue rather than cable and it will sweep through pulling in all of the available signals.

Alternatively use the break out box to connect freeview box, Sky box etc.

I use the TV option all the time and record off air, the software will allow full VCR, pause rewind TV etc

You might need a better TV arial / signal for improved picture.

In my experience the AIW cards are brilliant. :smashin: