Watching sport - the next immediate future?

Howardfh

Gibraltar FA are allowing fans in for their game on Tuesday v Netherlands. Thought it might be of interest the protocol fans have to go through to get in; From the GFA;
Supporters who have received their email notifications allowing them to buy a ticket for tomorrow’s World Cup Qualifier between Gibraltar and the Netherlands have until 12 noon today to complete their ticket purchases.

Upon completion of their purchase, all supporters will receive an email from Maritime Medical Services (MMS Ltd) with an appointment for a Fast Flow (Antigen) COVID test on the morning of the match – 30th March 2021.

Anyone receiving a complimentary ticket for the match will also have received an email from MMS requiring them to have a Fast Flow (Antigen) COVID test on Matchday.

The Matchday FAST FLOW COVID tests will take place between 8am and 2pm at the MUGA Area in the Victoria Stadium. Entry to the testing facility is between the Tercentenary Hall and the World Trade Centre. Anyone who does not turn up for a test on Matchday or does not record a negative test will NOT have their matchday ticket activated, and will NOT be allowed access to the Victoria Stadium.

Some points - virtually all residents in Gibraltar have had the vaccine; but if this is the new future for the UK even after vaccination, how many fans of sports teams or other entertainments will put up with this continually just to gain entrance? Cinemas/pubs/clubs??

Right now I'd walk over glass just to watch something, but after a wee while I'd get fed up of continually having tests especially since I would have had the jab.

If people are in the venue and supposedly protected, why the tests? I suppose the answer is to find out if those vaxxed can still pass on covid, and if so how much, whether those vaxxed get a bad dose of covid or whether it's effective.

Exomorphic

Gibraltar FA are allowing fans in for their game on Tuesday v Netherlands. Thought it might be of interest the protocol fans have to go through to get in; From the GFA;

Some points - virtually all residents in Gibraltar have had the vaccine; but if this is the new future for the UK even after vaccination, how many fans of sports teams or other entertainments will put up with this continually just to gain entrance? Cinemas/pubs/clubs??

Right now I'd walk over glass just to watch something, but after a wee while I'd get fed up of continually having tests especially since I would have had the jab.

If people are in the venue and supposedly protected, why the tests? I suppose the answer is to find out if those vaxxed can still pass on covid, and if so how much, whether those vaxxed get a bad dose of covid or whether it's effective.
Yeah that would be a ballache. Probably why vaccination passports would be more popular. Who wants to jump through hoops to have fun, forever from now on? Maybe for the very short term while everyone gets vaccinated, but after that, nope.

Much easier to bring your phone or document/card with you.

Howardfh

Yeah that would be a ballache. Probably why vaccination passports would be more popular. Who wants to jump through hoops to have fun, forever from now on? Maybe for the very short term while everyone gets vaccinated, but after that, nope.

Much easier to bring your phone or document/card with you.
I think eventually, maybe for the rest of summer, they will go down the joint route of saying "you either have to have the passport or go through these tests"; and that means many will have to go through the tests time and time again as they are too young for the jabs.

The alternative is they keep going on about these nasty variants found in Europe and elsewhere and worry about a fresh wave, yet allow places to open with no checks?

acatweasel

Distinguished Member

First big test to see if it's vaccination plan is working properly, not to mention seeing the game. I'd expect that after a few similar tests (and assuming good result) they could start relaxing restrictions even more. It will be useful to see what these mass event tests turn up.

Howardfh

First big test to see if it's vaccination plan is working properly, not to mention seeing the game. I'd expect that after a few similar tests (and assuming good result) they could start relaxing restrictions even more. It will be useful to see what these mass event tests turn up.
As a "test" it must be noted that the game is basically outdoors (one stand has a small roof) and it's the equivalent of an English summer there now. So if there is no spike, no increase of infections the argument could be that nothing has been learned. Of course if there are new infections requiring hospital treatment down the line, does that mean the vaccinations are failling?

We need some big indoor events, yes with distancing, to get some idea of how "normal" we can be in the forseeable future, just like we need to get the over 60's who have been vaxxed out into the wild to see if it's really working and to what extent.

StormySeas

One of the FA cup semi finals at Wembley (mid April)is having a 25% capacity crowd of 10,000. it one of a number of pilot event to trial the return of fans to sport. Not so bothered with footie myself but professional sports without fans lacks soul.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom