1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching sport on LCD TVs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by FinlandBlue, Sep 13, 2005.

1. FinlandBlue

FinlandBlue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased an LCD TV (Sony KLV-S32A10E) and I'm very happy with the picture from DVDs. The normal terrestial channels are OK, but the satellite channels vary from OK to poor.

Particularly poor are sports - especially football - the players and ball appear jagged and blurred. Close-up shots are good and very in focus, but moving pictures not so.

Is this normal for satellite sports viewing via satellite, and if so what is the reason? If not normal, is there some setting on the TV I can change to make it better?

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Interlacing is the culprit here. It's a 1930s video bandwidth saving system that's sadly still in wide use today. I don't think there's anything you can do about it except for spending a lot of money on a separate video scaler/deinterlacer.

3. FinlandBlue

FinlandBlue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, its the signal quality that is being sent rather than my TV?

If I changed the TV, would that help?

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Most of this will probably be due to the limited bandwidth of the digital tranmissions. Unfortunately, most broadcasters value quantity over quality and compress the signals up to the eyeballs to squeeze in as many channels as they can. Freeview has the same issues.

5. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've yet to see an LCD screen which can give good results with sport... I had all my hopes pinned on the Sony V40 but after seeing the abysmal performance it gave with my recording of football the other day, i'm really disappointed..

Would love to get a plasma - purely because it has better picture and looks smother with football , but at the same time I would ideally like a 'plug and play' TV , not having to bother with running the plasma in, and then worry about on screen logos and possible screen burn.

A big screen (37" or above) LCD television which can display football really well, would be my ideal solution.. and I'm tempted to wait in the hope (although i'm beginning to think its unlikely) that i'll finally see an LCD out there which really makes watching football look 'pleasant' rather than almost unbearable.

6. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, anyone know how good the Sharp 37" LCDs are with fast motion?

7. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

My new 32" panny 500 lcd handles the footy pretty well. Watching the cl games on sky sports, sitting approx. 7ft away, the picture was excellent. However, when i watched the everton game on itv2 last night (what happened there by the way!) the picture was poor and keep going to 4:3, blurring all the time.
    Guess its all down to the broadcast.

Simonio