Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Watching Sport on 32"lcd?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Toddy99, Sep 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Toddy99

Toddy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,I have been reading this forum for a few weeks as I am considering buying a 32"lcd.The only thing putting me off is I am not sure how good they are they for watching sport.The TV I have has a good PQ so I do not want to buy a new lcd if it is not going to be better than the TV I have got.Any help or recomendations would be very helpfull my budget is about £1000.
    Thanks

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Stick with your TV if it has good PQ. Unless you specifically want a large flat screen, you may otherwise end up disappointed with the PQ. Makesure that *you* view all the screens in your price range using the type of feed and cabling that you intend to use and make a decision based on that. Only then can you make a decision on whether the screens that you have viewed will offer an acceptable alternative to your CRT. And you cannot view too many screens. It may also be wise to view some above your budget, to see whether they offer something better. Atleast then you are armed with all the facts.

3. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Best put your wallet away then! General opinion is that the latest gen LCDs are good with sport, but none would beat a good CRT for standard def sport.

I have a Hitachi 32ld7200, and while it's perfectly acceptable for football etc, the picture is not as good as my Dad's CRT. With DVDs, though, the Hitachi blows the CRT out of the water.

4. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    There quite good up on the bedroom wall for "sporty" DVD's.................... :D

Seriously if you want one, 8ms -12ms response seems OK. I have 3 lcd TV's with various response times 8ms / 16ms / 25ms. You can forget 25ms and 16ms they look awfull with sport, try watching Tennis if you audition a TV. The Yellow Ball can easily ghost across the screen on a poor LCD.

If Sky HD includes sports, then they COULD look fantastic, if you are prepared to pay. Standard Definition feeds will look better on an CRT, but an 32" CRT is much deeper.

5. Toddy99

Toddy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everyone.Will lcds ever be good with sport?Should I wait 6 months,will they be better with sport then.Sorry last question,are the more expensive lcds as good as crts with sport.

6. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am flirting with maybe purchasing this set so i would appreciate it if you could clear up a few minor aspects that worry me ;) Is there any light seepage visible with the lcd (indicated by part of teh screen appearing very slightly darker than the rest of the screen) also does the set have dynamic contrast as in it will sometimes change contrast to deepen blacks and then adjust it again when the scene changes to a brighter one and so on, very subtle but my plasma has it and it annoys me soo much. Thanks in advance, also if you could point out the bad points of your lcd instead of the good points that would be good as well :smashin: (i can live with the good points but not the bad points hence i like to know the downsides to what i am buying)