1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watching sky via tvcard and descaler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dek1965, Dec 31, 2003.

1. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just thought i'd share this

when i first set up my pj and hcpc, i intended to watch tv and sky via a tv card in my hcpc so i bought a cheep mercury tvcard.

i connected sky via svideo to the card but could only get a black and white picture, changed every setting i could, installed allsorts of drivers but this didn't help (svideo straight to pj was ok but pq wasn't that brilliant

was the same via coax, but if i bypassed sky and connected ariel to card got colour picture-- pq wasnt great either

strange

so i bought a 10 metre rgb cable and used this to view sky, pq was pretty good

BUT TODAY I WAS BORED

So i hooked up the sky to the tvcard again, to have a play

but this time i installed descaler

outcome ------ a fantastic picture, far better than the rgb cable, also has millions of setting for you to tweak with.

Dscaler = excellent piece of software, highly Recommended

tvcard is a mercury tv tuner card cost about £25, again highly recommended as it works with dscaler and is "cheap as chips"

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Dek
    Welcome to the wonderful world of DScaler !

What you are now enjoying is the benefits of an entry level SVideo card - ok, but usually suffering from noise and other issues. Of course another problem particulary for Sky users is that most digiboxes dont have Svideo, just composite (poor quality) or RGB (high quality).
    The usual workaround is to downconvert the RGB signal to SVideo to allow the use of an SVideo capture card, which of course adds cost and inevitably impacts performance.

This takes us rather nicely to the main benefits of direct RGB capture - you no longer need to downconvert your RGB sources to SVideo - just capture them direct in to DScaler with no loss of quality!

all the best

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi there,

If my Sky is in a different room and I want to get it to my pc and get a good picture and sound can i go via the ariel out with coax and take it to my capture card.
    If not what is the cheapest method of getting good piccys and sound :)

Ta

Chris

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Chris
    Well, you *could* do it via coax, but that gives you the worst picture quality as you are piping audio and video down a single cable as a TV channel, and then tuning in to it at the PC card end.

If that is all that you have in terms of cabling then I guess you have no choice, if on the other hand you are able to run cable and/or you want good quality then you should consider other options, it is possible for example to send SVideo or RGB over CAT5 network cable.

regards

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have heard about the Kat5 cable. I dont know if it is expensive or complicated to install. But I'll look into it.

Cheers

C