1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching Sky (standard) through a projector

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rimibar, Nov 9, 2003.

1. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone help please? In preparation for the rugby, I have attempted to link my sky box to the big screen.

I get a picture but it's not great, lots of vertical lines and "fuzz", my kit is below. Neither Sky nor my retailer have been able to solve the issue.

Anyone have any clever ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I watch sky through a projection Tv & it's fine. If the regular TV picture's ok ie not the same fuzz, & the Sky picture's ok on a regular TV, check the interconnects (scart or Sky lead). If the connections via Sky lead straight from the dish, has the TV been tuned to the channel correctly? I am not aware of any reason why Sky shouldn't work with any projector. Perhaps someone else knows better than me, but usually the simplest answer is the one. Check all the leads.
    Stuart

3. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was until recently watching sky through a projector using composite feed from
    the sky box scart.
    I have just purchased a RGB to S-Video converter from JS a sponser of this forum
    Set the sky box to output RGB plug in the scarts and s video cable to projector
    and sit back and view the massively improved PQ..

It really does work!!

4. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Basically - all connections have been checked several times over. When I reconnected to my TV to double check the new cables I had purchased (RGB scart to S-VIDEO) the TV display was fine.

Therefore it isn't the cable, it could either be:

1/ The Pioneer AV receiver coverting the signal inappropriately;
    2/ The Sky output of 50Hz is not enough to satiate the Projector;

I am going to try an RGB scart to component video cable too - to see if that improves the situation.

Any further advice would be much appreciated. Anyone out there?

Thanks!

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well my thought would be that no SKY digibox outputs s-video via the scart so a straight RGB-Svideo cable won't be any good and the picture on the TV you mentioned would either be showing a RGB pic or Composite pic.
    You would need to get a proper RGB to S-Video converter as simonthepieman did for feeding a projector or get SKY+ or one of the Grundigs which have s-video output.

6. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that - yesterday I played around with the cables and discovered that (ironically) the composite cable provided an excellent picture.

To better it I am thinking of trying an RGB scart to component video (withour converter). Do you think this will work?

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Another option would be a ProV. (See the projectors forum for more threads on this.)

Its a £100 box that you plug your Sky box/DVD/etc into and take a single (in my case Svideo) lead to the projector.

It ups the resolution to 1024 x 768 and made a big difference to my sky viewing. I bought it specially for SKY but my DVD player also looks better through it (a samsung DV709)

Chris

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What you need, as Starburst says, is a proper converter. Though I think with the H50 you can use RGB and synch on composite, was there not an adapter in the box? My preferred method would be RGB(make sure it's enabled) to component video converter(JS Tech, www.rgbtosvideo.com ) then component video to projector. Cable runs to projectors tend to be long, so using a robust video signal is an advantage. Conversion from RGB to component is virtually lossless, so you are using all the signal sky is sending you, which must clearly be the best way. Having said that, I use an s-video converter and find it mostly satisfactory. There is no such thing as a scart to component video cable, except custom ones (I make them) for Netgem freeview boxes. It's not a scart standard, the netgem is very unusual. If you connect RGB to component without a converter, you get a picture, jim, but not as we know it! It's all pink and green! Or somethink like that anyway, very strange.

9. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They offer a nice little converter but it's twice the price of the Maplin one. Anyone tried either and can comment on quality ?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Twice as good, mate.