Watching Sky+ recordings with no satellite connection

david.miller

Novice Member
I've just upgraded from Sky+160 to Sky HD - a straight swap, not moving to multiroom.

There are some recordings on the Sky+160 box that I'd like to watch before I get rid of it. However, when I power it on it just complains that it has no satellite connection. This is fair enough - it's not connected - but I only want to access my existing recordings.

Is there any way I can force it to ignore the lack of connection and let me play back my recordings?

Thanks,

David

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Not legally as it decrypts them each time you want to watch them which it can't do when its not conencted

It requires a live satellite for security reasons - basically to ensure that you have not merely disconnected the dish to avoid your card receiving a "deactivate" command if you cancel your subscription, people back in the analogue days used to remove cards from the boxes to avoid their card being "killed" when they cancelled and if they were lucky the card would work this way for months.

david.miller

Novice Member
Thanks... sounds like I'm out of luck unless I switch the cables back and replace my Sky viewing card, then?

Presumably this wouldn't work anyway, because my viewing card is paired with my new box...

SamRadford

Novice Member
Yes, the card has to be paired with the box, otherwise you could simply have run a single cable from a spare outlet on your LNB.

Thanks... sounds like I'm out of luck unless I switch the cables back and replace my Sky viewing card, then?

Presumably this wouldn't work anyway, because my viewing card is paired with my new box...
Would probably work with Free to Air channels and non premiom channels (Not Movies or Sports)

david.miller

Novice Member
Yes, the card has to be paired with the box, otherwise you could simply have run a single cable from a spare outlet on your LNB.
Fair enough - I did turn down a multiroom subscription, after all!

Curiously, when Sky HD was installed the installer switched my quad LNB (installed 2 years ago for Sky+) for a dual one - so I don't have any spare outlets now.

SamRadford

Novice Member
Curiously, when Sky HD was installed the installer switched my quad LNB (installed 2 years ago for Sky+) for a dual one - so I don't have any spare outlets now.
A dual LNB won't work. Maybe it's a twin-output LNB? (but the minidish version is very rare). Normally Sky install a quad-output version as twins are not available. Maybe he found it in his junk box. I don't think it would be condoned by Sky.

david.miller

Novice Member
A dual LNB won't work. Maybe it's a twin-output LNB? (but the minidish version is very rare). Normally Sky install a quad-output version as twins are not available. Maybe he found it in his junk box. I don't think it would be condoned by Sky.
I'm obviously mistaken (and don't really know what I'm talking about) - I'd assumed a quad LNB was called that because it had four outputs. I said "dual LNB" because I thought the one he replaced it with only had two outputs... however, I was only watching from the bottom of the ladder so I could very well be mistaken!

Definitely mistaken! I've just grabbed the box that the new LNB came in (which I still haven't discarded since Wednesday - messy me...), and it's clearly labelled "Thompson UK Part No. 13422 Quad LNB". Next time I get the ladder out, I'll check how many connections it has on it.

I have my previous LNB too, in the box. 2 years old, but seems a shame to throw it away when it was working fine! :)

Now I'm off for a quick read of http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm to check my LNB facts...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom