Watching Sky on other tv's through aerial?

..A UHF TV aerial is effectively a short-circuit at DC and at lower frequencies used by the "magic eye".

Please explain, seeing as most UHF aerial are of the Yagi type.

Never used, or heard of, "piant"

OK, apologies if I offend anyone, but I am getting really fed up with these "dumb" distribution questions.

Terrestrial TV and the Sky RF output are both UHF signals, which, depending on where you live, and what RF channel the Sky box is set up to output, may interere with one another - more later.....

99% of distribution in peoples homes occurs in the loft. An input, (Terrestrial or Sky RF output), is distributed to other rooms in the house via a distributor taking an input, (terrestrial or Sky RF output) on it's input connector and distributing it's output to all the other rooms via it's output connectors.
(Note carefully that a signal input, (Terrestrial or Sky RF output), to an output of a distributor will not pass through to other outputs).

To enable two inputs, (Terrestrial and Sky RF output), to be distributed then those two inputs have to be combined prior to the input of the distributor. A simple Y or T combiner, or the Sky box itself, will do that.

If "Magic Eye" control from the other rooms is required then more research is required to find compatible distributors/combiners.

UHF channels range from 21 to 68, you may have to change your Sky box RF out channel to one that does not interfere with a terrestrial channel.

Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited:
Right can someone just confirm I have this right in my mind?

So currently my house has ariel points in each room.

The SkyHD box is in the living room- where I have no requirement for freeview at all.

I have a TV in the bedroom, where I wish to have freeview and a duplicate of my sky box picture.

So am I right in thinking that from the ariel there will be some sort of splitter going to each room- in which case what I would need to do is remove the living room cable from this splitter, and connect it to the same line as the cable running to the bedroom using a Y splitter?

Ive done a very quick mock up in paint- the red cable indicates what im trying to describe.

attachment.php

Can someone confirm if this is correct?

I will obviously want to use magic eye/tv link in this setup.

I didnt even know this was possible until I luckily fell accross this thread yesterday so Im just ordering the pars I need now!

Thanks
Grangey

Attachments

• what you mean.jpg
    what you mean.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 891
Last edited:
It's certainly not "correct" in the sense of being the recommended method to combine signals. Using a passive splitter as a signal combiner will always introduce significant losses and a strong possibility of cross-modulation interference. (It will also - usually - prevent any "magic eye" from working reliably.) But it will do not harm to try it so please do so.

You should remove the existing splitter altogether. There's no point in adding more signal losses unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Thanks Martin,

From what I understand from your previous post is it you recommending to have the sky box connected via a "y" splitter inbetween the ariel and the splitter? and then you point out that I would have to look for a specific splitter that would support magic eye?-is that right or have I misunderstood?

I could probably do without freeview completely in the bedroom if I can get my sky box picture up there, it would just be handy to have both.

There is nothing like trying things out.......................

ariel (noun)
A gazelle found in the Middle East and North Africa. • Genus Gazella, family Bovidae: the mountain gazelle ( G. gazella) or the dorcas gazelle ( G. dorcas).

aerial (noun)
Another term for antenna (sense 2): "jiggle the aerial on the radio."

ariel (noun)
A gazelle found in the Middle East and North Africa. • Genus Gazella, family Bovidae: the mountain gazelle ( G. gazella) or the dorcas gazelle ( G. dorcas).

aerial (noun)
Another term for antenna (sense 2): "jiggle the aerial on the radio."

Ariel- (Murmaid)
Ariel is a fictional character and the lead protagonist of Walt Disney Pictures' twenty-eighth animated film The Little Mermaid
:laugh:

Seriously, thanks, I always got confused on which way of spelling it!

I'd never heard of the gazelle but it's actually detergent.:D

Can someone confirm if this is correct?
Remove splitter - forget splitters altogether.
Connect the cable, that was its input from the aerial, to one pf the pair of "legs" of the Y-combiner.
Cut cable from Sky machine at point X and connect it to the other "leg" of the pair.
Connect combiner's third "leg" to extension TV.
Watch choice of Freeview and current Sky channel.
Try "magic eye".
If it doesn't work try another combiner, or forget it and get wireless IR extender.

Not quite sure I completely got this... are you saying like this?

attachment.php

and hope the tv link works?

edit- damnit i forgot the i in aerial!

Oh and on a side question- ive yet to see the current aerial setup in the loft, but what are the connections likely to be from the aerial to the splitter and from the splitter to the plug points?

Are they just going to be the normal type or special screw on types?

Attachments

• this.jpg
    this.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 724
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you got it - but then you brought a splitter back into it!

The connections might be by ordinary push-in aerial-type plugs, or they might be screw-in f-plugs, but it doesn't matter which they are.

The splitter is there as there are naturally other rooms in the house which have ariel points so I assumed there must be a splitter up there so would rather leave it in situ if I can...

Im making alot of assumptions though, there may not be an aerial or splitter up there- just the wiring for the rooms! Il find out tonight!

Thanks for confirming though logiciel :)

I was wondering on the connection front more on what type of Y splitter thing to get! :)

It would be more of a distributor than a splitter, that's used for a number of extension TVs.
Although the Y things can be used as two way splitters, in this case, for joining the aerial signal with the Sky RF2 Out signal, you're going to use the new one as a combiner, so it's best to call it that!
You can begin with the sort that many corner shops sell for 99p, which will probably combine the signals OK but is less likely to take the remote control back the other way.
Then, "if it doesn't work try another combiner, or forget it and get a wireless IR extender".

That makes perfect sence so its purely been my terminology- so yes by splitter I meant distributor, and by Y thing I meant combiner lol.

Il have a look in the loft this evening and see whats there (If anything!) and report back :) Thanks

That's OK - you weren't the first, and won't be the last, to use the words interchangeably.:)
Yes, do let us know what you find up there, with diagram of course!:thumbsup:

well that was an entertaining read! thanks to Grangey for the pictures and logiciel et al for the explanations. :thumbsup:

All part of the free service.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom