1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching single source video and audio around the house

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by JustMe, Jan 24, 2004.

1. JustMe

JustMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings,
    My first post here - I hope I have the right forum.
    I am about to move home and wish to set-up a pseudo mutliroom system with some very specific features. If anyone has any advice, suggestions etc I would be grateful.

Effectively I wish to view any video or audio component from one room, in any other room. Unlike a conventional multi-room system (where audio/video is distributed from one location), I wish to operate more of a loop-type setup.

I can see how to use NICAM RF modulators in each room, each set to a different frequency, daisy chained from room to room, however bandwidth is limited and I don't always wish to turn a telly on. Sources will include local PCs, a central PC server, VCRs, DVD players - possible in each room.

This may sound inefficient, but there are good reasons for wanting to do it that way.

Does anyone know of any solutions, complete with remote switching/infra-red repeating?

Cheers.

2. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Would something like this be of any help in the setup?

3. JustMe

JustMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks interesting, but isn't quite the solution - besides a Networked PC would provide greater functionality.

The only solution I can see is to carry a signal which runs from room to room around the house (modulated I guess) and then, at the end of the chain feed that signal into a distributor and send it off to all the rooms. But that wont provide a stereo (NICAM) signal from the different devices and might prove tricky to balance across the available bandwidth.

I've seen audio multiroom systems which enable listinening to different audio in different zones, or the same audio in different zones. Something like that for video+stereo audio would be good...

4. epwc

epwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Look at Channel Plus gear also Living control and Systemline by QED not sure if anything is available yet for your specific needs though.

6. JustMe

JustMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "Smart-E" looks very interesting. Gave them a call as there were some unanswered questions on the site. Effectively up to 16 AV and 8 modulated inputs and 8 remote zones - cool!

Have been checking the Channel Plus range too as this seems to be superior, but the pricing is pushing my limits.

The simpler, modular design of the Smart-E looks ideal though, and the chap on the phone was very helpful.

epwc: do you know if it strips out Macrovision too? The fella I spoke to mentioned that it generates a new sync anyway, but wasn't sure if this cured Macro issues.

7. epwc

epwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know it just generates an RGB feed that can be transmitted to any zone. I found them to be very helpful I've had 2 units off them one for me & one for my brother, initially the remotes weren't very good or the IR receivers but as soon as they came up with better options they replaced them for us no charge.